Legacy GT top end running problem

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 06:35 PM
Damoleggy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legacy GT top end running problem

Hi all

I a newbie to the Scooby, and hope there is someone out there who might have some good information about my Legacy GT estate as I do not know a lot about it. It is a my94 BG05 model with the sequential turbo engine, so far I'm delighted with it however...... When I was on the way to Hethal on the A11 the other day it started coughing above 110mph almost like the spark was being snuffed out and the revs dropped off, I lifted and stuck my foot back in and it pulled to 120mph before this happened again. Does anyone have any experiance with this or have any recommendations for fault finding this issue.

I look forward to any responses, and thank you in adavnce.

BTW when it's running right what a machine and nkone knows what it is!!!! he he
Old 30 June 2004, 08:30 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Stoopid Question, but has the jap speed restrictor been taken out of it, it cuts in at approx 112mph, but with a gentle downhill I guess it could make it close to 120. Only trying to help
Old 30 June 2004, 10:03 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

If it is a JDM car (twin turbo usually is),then dont take it past 100mph.
Its supposed to rapidly increase the chances of an engine failure.

Also you should be using Octane boost with super unleaded.

I would like to know about this problem,coz Ive got an rs tt 95 import,which I dont find very fast,especially in first and second.Then on on its very smooth and powerfull but not comparable to a standard wrx of he same year.

Does your car have a split second of hesitation at 5k revs before the second turbo kicks in?
Old 30 June 2004, 10:47 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to twin turbo ownership

Yours sounds like it's still limited, so a de-limiter is required.

Run a min 97ron fuel + octane booster (millers octane plus) and good quality oil.

Please drop onto my website, lots of info regarding TT's, plus a link to the Yahoo group purley for TT's.

All TT Legacy's suffer a drop in power at around 4.5-5k, as the secondary comes in, VOD(Valley Of Death)

HTH

Mark
UK Twin Turbo Legacy Register
Old 01 July 2004, 08:59 AM
Damoleggy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replys guy's.

The car is delimited as I have had it upto 150mph racing my house mate in his GT-B my98, they can be reliabley run on unleaded 95ron with no loss in reliabiltiy my house mate has done 60k miles in his only using 98/97ron every so often and regularly doing 100+mph for very long distances, this is why a bought mine they are nigh on indistructable! good for me as I drive hard and do a lot of miles. They are limited in japan because that is what the law makes them do from the factory, just like all the hairy arsed cars we make in europe are limited to 155mph.

Mark is right the reason why there is a flat spot is because there is a flap in the intercooler that opens to let the big turbo do it's stuff (come on line I call it) creating the boost valley. I found some web sites that depict all the connections to the vacuum circuits that control all of this I will post them when I get back to england if they are not already known.

Mark I will check out your site cheers. The mission goes on to keep the fastest bike carrier going flat out!

Mark checked that site out yam the man cheers! very helpful

Last edited by Damoleggy; 01 July 2004 at 09:08 AM.