High pitch wistle and Screeeeetchy brakes

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 05:54 PM
Matt_Barrett
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb High pitch wistle and Screeeeetchy brakes

Dear all,

When the car is idling there is a really high pitched noise that sounds like it is coming from under the passengers door. But you can't place the noise. Could it be the petrol pump ?

Also my front drivers side breaks squeak all the time, I took it to a Subaru dealer and they said the back pads were low ?

Which is weird as it was the front drivers breaks. Anyhow I changed the back pads (which were actually okay, a bit low) and you have guessed it the front pads are still squeaking....

any quick fixes, my friend says put copper slip on the back..

From a wagon turbo driver.

Thanks.
Old 30 June 2004, 07:34 PM
Damoleggy
Scooby Newbie

Hi Mike,

You should always put copper slip on the pads where they come into contact with any metal surfaces and between the anti squeal shims too, be careful not to get any dirt etc. stuck to the copper slip though. Also make sure you clean all the surfaces of the caliper carrier and caliper with a wire brush (if you have drill you can use a wire brush with that make life easier) and use clutch and brake cleaner to finally clean everything down with and remove any dirt left over. Clean assembly is vital to non squeaky brakes also check for signs of wear on all the parts. Oh I forgot also remove the discs and use the wire brush on the back of the mounting faces and the hub mounting face, a small amount of copper slip can be placed here too if you like as this will stop any corrosion.

Hopefully this will cure the problem, if not then have the discs checked for excess run out.

Damo

Last edited by Damoleggy; 30 June 2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01 July 2004, 07:50 PM
Matt_Barrett
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Many thanks, but the unbelievable happened,

My wife borrowed the car, and now everything is squeak free. I asked here what she did and she said

"I have never got to work so quick, oh, and I showed a white van man...oh and the young lad in a renault 5 turbo, and then...."

Hmmm...perhaps I should drive like that .

The steering now doesn't vibrate slightly at 80mph either....its like my car is back...and my hearing is now healing.

Cheers...