Notices

Remote mounting of KnockLink LEDs...

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 12:48 AM
Spenny_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote mounting of KnockLink LEDs...

...I know there's numerous threads re remotely mounting the LEDs for a KL box, done MANY searches, but haven't found the one I saw a couple of months ago...HELP!!...driving me nuts!

As mentioned, seen many relating to drilling parts of the binnacle/dash/centre console/A-Pillar pods, etc, however, the one I'm looking for was somebody that was also willing to do the mod for a small fee, where they use a DIN style connector on the KL box, extend the LEDs via a heatshrunk covered ext lead, to a very neat little self-contained unit housing the LEDs, which then stuck wherever you chose to mount it, ie., no drilling.

Does anyone remember seeing this thread please?...any moderators remember it?

As you may have guessed, expecting delivery of a KL thro the GB soon, and don't want to drill dashboard!

Cheers in advance

Spen
Old 30 June 2004, 02:19 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default hmm!

let me see what I can do once I get home M8!

Might be able to get the parts to do it for you but I'll let you know on Friday, once I get home.

Russell
Old 30 June 2004, 09:39 AM
Fizz_daz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WUZ
let me see what I can do once I get home M8!

Might be able to get the parts to do it for you but I'll let you know on Friday, once I get home.

Russell
Wuz,

Cheque in post today... I might be interested in this mod too? can you give me a price?
Old 30 June 2004, 09:50 AM
Spenny_B
Scooby Regular

You know what Wuz?...I did a search by username on you last night, because I *thought* it was prob you...looked thro 4 pages of threads to your name and couldn't find anything...glad to see I'm not going mad!!

If I remember correctly there was a price of £30/£35 mentioned in that thread?

Almost back on shore again now, eh? ....I think it may be KL time!! ...wa-hey!!...then I can see how much det I have for Pat to remap! (he indicated that equal length headers *could* lead to increased levels of pre-det, so should be interesting to see activity on KL)

Cheers mate,

S

Last edited by Spenny_B; 30 June 2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 30 June 2004, 09:52 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn it WUZ why can't you live closer to me.

Not travelling to SE England in the near future are you?
Old 30 June 2004, 01:28 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

yep i remeber the thread you have to goto maplins buy 5 leds and some 10 pin connectors with male and female then cut the leds off the knocklink (or solder the wire to were the old leds are) then solder the new leds to the wire with the male connectors then solder the female part to the kL, then mount the leds however you like.

im sure the guy who did this will come up soon but you can easily do this your self
Old 30 June 2004, 01:40 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I did that to mine - can't find the thread though - It would have been before SN moved (this time).... Take top off KL - unsolder LEDS and replace with cable to DIN socket. Take DIN plug - solder to cables, up to gauge pod, with LEDS on end. Remember that +ve is common, not -ve !

My KL Box is under the dash somewhere....

Old 30 June 2004, 01:42 PM
Spenny_B
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, capable of cutting/shutting a few wires (background in Electronic Engineering, many moons ago!)...the bit I was after was the unit that housed the remote LEDs, it looked very neat, and would save me hours milling one out of ally or ABS...surfed around the RS and Maplin sites for a ready-made unit but couldn't find the one previously mentioned.
Old 30 June 2004, 01:51 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Hmm - (You wont believe this), I actually used half a drum off a cable spool - the 50mm sort that auto-wiring comes on - Its plastic, so easy to fit the LEDS to, and was Exactly the correct size to fit in the gauge pod hole.....
Old 30 June 2004, 01:55 PM
Spenny_B
Scooby Regular

Hmm - (You wont believe this), I actually used half a drum off a cable spool - the 50mm sort that auto-wiring comes on - Its plastic, so easy to fit the LEDS to, and was Exactly the correct size to fit in the gauge pod hole.....
Haha...Happy Days!....good idea

That's the other option of course....and I've also seen (on the Defi site) pods that mount behind steering wheel which I suppose could be an option (although not really in line-of-site)...could also be used to house shift light, Defi warning light, etc...

Hmmm...ideas....!
Old 30 June 2004, 03:17 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

The thread you read was ME doing the mods.

The thread was started by Burr. Have search and see if you like what you see. If you do, drop me a PM. I can mount the LEDs anywhere of your choice, but that'll cost your more, matey, cos it takes me a while to take your dash apart
Old 30 June 2004, 03:31 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Here it is http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...highlight=Burr
Old 30 June 2004, 03:51 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Turbo Steve is da man!!!
Old 30 June 2004, 04:44 PM
Spenny_B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

THAT's THE ONE!!....cheers chaps!

Turbo Steve...I want to remotely mount the LEDs per the pics at the beginning of that thread (ie DIN plug/sckt, multicore flex, tiny case with LEDs, etc)...how's best to play this?

1) are you (for a fee, of course!) able to supply the parts from which I can mod mine?....to be honest, I want to get this up and running ASAP as I'm very nervous right now about the config of my engine and comments that Pat's made re poss det already being present (hoping to get Pat to remap in next few weeks).

2)Or do you only want to mod peoples KL yourself (I don't want to step on anyones toes).

3)or shall I trundle up to local Maplin shop on Friday and see how I fare getting components (you did mention you're busy in the original thread)..the only bit that looks like it may be tricky to source is the small case for LEDs?

Cheers again everyone, I can now sleep easy! (kind-of )

Spen