Notices

1st-2nd gear flat spot on Bugeye

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 09:33 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st-2nd gear flat spot on Bugeye

OK chaps. My friend who is a fellow scooby owner but has no internet access has asked me about a problem he has (which I have experienced when in and driving his car).

When accelerating (hard) the gear change from 1st to 2nd is extremely poor no matter how hard you try to make it no so. The car lurches on take up of clutch, and does not seem to respond to throttle input to correct the rev differential, followed by a very noticable flat spot then after a second or so the thing picks up properly.

The actual gear shift is OK, but when the clutch comes back up the lurch almost feels like the drive train is made of rubber and the car then sort of dies for a second or so.

Doesn't happen on any of the other gearchanges.

Anyone else had this on a bugeye ?

Know what it is or otherwise have any suggestions ?

Car is always run on Optimax. Std '01 WRX Bugeye wagon, running 18" prodrive wheels and scoobysport backbox, otherwise no mods.
Old 22 June 2004, 12:21 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratch
OK chaps. My friend who is a fellow scooby owner but has no internet access has asked me about a problem he has (which I have experienced when in and driving his car).

When accelerating (hard) the gear change from 1st to 2nd is extremely poor no matter how hard you try to make it no so. The car lurches on take up of clutch, and does not seem to respond to throttle input to correct the rev differential, followed by a very noticable flat spot then after a second or so the thing picks up properly.

The actual gear shift is OK, but when the clutch comes back up the lurch almost feels like the drive train is made of rubber and the car then sort of dies for a second or so.

Doesn't happen on any of the other gearchanges.

Anyone else had this on a bugeye ?

Know what it is or otherwise have any suggestions ?

Car is always run on Optimax. Std '01 WRX Bugeye wagon, running 18" prodrive wheels and scoobysport backbox, otherwise no mods.
Is it hitting fuel cut in the low gears, or is the boost solenoid getting contaminated with oil if a bit over filled?

Other suggestion is that you have bad clutch judder and clutch spins a bit until grips then pulls engine revs back to a near stall / flat spot??
Old 22 June 2004, 01:33 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Never experienced fuel cut so not sure, but the dead/flat spot is when the revs have dropped off during the gear change, not at the top of the rev range before gear change if this eliminates it.

Clutch should be OK, it was replaced already about 5000 miles ago under warrenty as it had the infamous judder.

Will check oil level to see if it is OK.

Basically the simplest way to explain it is that there is no throttle response/pick up when you try to make it go having made the gear change into 2nd.

Last edited by Scratch; 22 June 2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 23 June 2004, 07:26 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Boing - anymore suggestions ?
Old 06 July 2004, 10:23 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

ECU shows no fault codes and reset does not improve or make the condition any worse.
Old 07 July 2004, 01:09 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be that its just turbo having to build the boost between gears-which is more noticable on the 01's compared to the classics,especially in the lower gears.I presume its due to the type of map being more progressive on the boost buildup.
A decat and a dawes completely elliminates it

easy
Old 07 July 2004, 02:07 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

So is it possible to achieve a smooth 1st->2nd change at all, even off boost? Not sure I like the idea that all power disappears for a moment.....

Have you tried coming off the throttle late (overrun it) so as to not kill airflow between gearchanges? Could just be a timing issue of sorts.

J.

Last edited by vindaloo; 07 July 2004 at 02:09 AM. Reason: can't spell at 02:00am after beer......

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2004, 01:12 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

What he needs is a PPP ecu like .....................

............This one here

Last edited by chris singleton; 07 July 2004 at 01:16 PM.