Notices

Is it an STi or NOT

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2004, 10:06 PM
Harryy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Is it an STi or NOT

How can you tell if a subaru is an STi or not! ive seen an L94 Subaru for sale it says STi on the log book and its a RED top engine. Is that enough information for me to believe its an STi rather then a conventional WRX, as surley the engine can be sprayed red. What ways are they of telling if an L reg subaru is an STi or not Please Help
Old 12 June 2004, 10:50 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STI Bagde on top of the Alternator Belt cover stating something like 'Tuned by STi'.
there should be another badge on top of one of the strut tops.

If it is an STi 1 then engine will 'NOT' be red.
If it is an STi 2 then it may well be. Although an L94 is more likely to be an STi 1

It should also have a Strut brace between the front and rear strut. If it is an STi 1 this will be a single Alloy brace with 'pink' mounting brackets. On the STi 2 this will be a twin carbon brace similar to the later cars.

STi will also have Suede seats and STi badged steering wheel. Rather then just a Nardi badged wheel and plain cloth trim.

It will also have a plaque stating how many of 100 it was.

Oh and an STi 1 will have Intercooler waterspray which will have a switch on the dash and also an extra water bottle under the bonnet.

Any Subaru sold as an STi 1 or 2 in the UK should be checked very carefully as they are very rare. As most of the cars imported of this age were just WRX. It wasn't until the facelift in 1996 when most of the imports switched from plain WRX to STi variants.

This is an STi cause I looked at it for a mate last week. This is the first genuine STi 1 I have seen http://www.japanesecarsdirect.com/page18.html and it was on an 'M' plate, so I doubt your 'L' plate will be an STi 2.

Last edited by Scott.T; 12 June 2004 at 10:58 PM.