BURBLE BURBLE

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 06:32 PM
terry3333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BURBLE BURBLE

hi all,

pretty new to scoobys, but one of the things that drew me to them was that lurrvely engine burble,, well i got one an my00 and it came with full scoobysport decat sytstem and remap, bov and
ITG flat panel plus other bits non engine related..

now while i do get some burble its not like many i hear and not like say my friends we just picked up that sounds very deep.hes got decat front and longlife back box ?

So my question is (eventualy) is it just the exhaust system or are other factors involved to attain this deep "BURBLE BURBLE" sound.?

Or is the burble just the sound of intake air associated with the engine building up to boost?

also i can hear my turbo spools up from about early2500's where as my mates you cant really hear to much at all and only comes in at about 3500-4000

so how do i get a more deeper burble people ?

sorry if its a silly question but might as well ask those who know !!

thx

terry
Old 03 June 2004, 07:13 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi Terry

Is the exhaust the latest scoobysport system, or the old H & S version?

The majority of the depth of the sound comes from the exhaust system, but... do you possibly have equal length headers fitted? If so, that will remove some of the burble sound?? just a thought.

Cheers

Simon
Old 03 June 2004, 07:21 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

welcome to scoobynet mate

personally i noticed the exhaust burble increase in deepness the louder the backbox/exhaust parts i put on.
started with std, then bit by bit changed all bits for magnex until i had full de-cat, nice and burbley recently changed to TSL firestorm b/box and as i said it's now louder with even more of a pronounced burble (and roar)

loads of exhaust out there so may be a bit of trial and error to find the one that suits you best, probably best to go to some meets and listen to other peoples to get an idea.

by the way, might be an idea to get rid of the ITG, most people on here think they're a bit **** and could lead to MAF failure. i had one myself for about 2 years and had no problems but you never know, better safe than sorry.
Old 03 June 2004, 10:05 PM
terry3333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
welcome to scoobynet mate

personally i noticed the exhaust burble increase in deepness the louder the backbox/exhaust parts i put on.
started with std, then bit by bit changed all bits for magnex until i had full de-cat, nice and burbley recently changed to TSL firestorm b/box and as i said it's now louder with even more of a pronounced burble (and roar)

loads of exhaust out there so may be a bit of trial and error to find the one that suits you best, probably best to go to some meets and listen to other peoples to get an idea.

by the way, might be an idea to get rid of the ITG, most people on here think they're a bit **** and could lead to MAF failure. i had one myself for about 2 years and had no problems but you never know, better safe than sorry.

thx guys,

its the latest system 11/03

i thought ITG had quite good reputation!! so little do i know :-(

dont think it has equal length headers just turbo back...

maybe i'm describing wot i'm after wrongly ? i dont know ! :-/

it sounds to me like an intake/inlet air sucking filtration sort of shlub shlub shlub on most i hear rather than an exhaust originated sound or BIT OF BOTH?

i dont think i can describe wot i mean so i'll do like you say and attend some meets...

thx guys
Old 04 June 2004, 12:03 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The MAF on Terry's car has done nearly 70k miles with an ITG filter
[Which probably means it's about due for replacement anyway...]
Old 04 June 2004, 02:02 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
i'm sure there are many people who use them with no trouble (me for a start), i had no problems at all when using it. no oil drawn thru, didn't get loads of gunge collecting in the air box. maybe some come more heavily oiled than others and this is the problem.

for the sake of £40 though i'd change it to a more generaly better respected make terry
Old 05 June 2004, 12:52 AM
terry3333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
[Which probably means it's about due for replacement anyway...]

HI CARL,

SCOOBY had new MAF fittedat scoobysport by the TVR dealer you traded in with along with all the mods i told you about ..

how's the CERB ?

terry
Old 05 June 2004, 12:57 AM
terry3333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
i'm sure there are many people who use them with no trouble (me for a start), i had no problems at all when using it. no oil drawn thru, didn't get loads of gunge collecting in the air box. maybe some come more heavily oiled than others and this is the problem.

for the sake of £40 though i'd change it to a more generaly better respected make terry
hey hoskib,

what would be a better filter panel then m8 ?

or anyone with suggestions ?
Old 05 June 2004, 10:38 AM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

the sti filter comes highly recommended on here mate also try a 5ziegen firebal or 5ziegen cannonball which i had on my old scooby great roar on the exhaust
Old 05 June 2004, 10:49 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terry3333
hey hoskib,

what would be a better filter panel then m8 ?

or anyone with suggestions ?
the sti panel filter, green cotton panel, k&n panel. there's probably others but i don't think you can go to far wrong with any of the above.

i personally went for a green coz someone in the know told me that green and k&n were made by the same people to the same specs, but the green is cheaper, noticed no difference whatsoever between the ITG and green performance wise.

if in doubt, do a search for filter recomendations, and exhaust choices aswell
Old 06 June 2004, 11:18 AM
terry3333
Scooby Regular

thanks all :-)
Old 11 May 2007, 01:57 AM
CHANGR
Scooby Newbie

I just pxd my 03 sti running itg, full Hayward and Scott decat system (up-pipe kept standard) and ecutek to 290BHP, forge BOV - best sound since sliced bread - refined below 3,000 and all the wiz bang burbling a man could want above that . Told NOT to change headers by H&S if I wanted to keep the burble. Now just bought the latest 2.5 litre STI with Prodrive - what's this car got standard - matched length headers - it gurgles no more!!!!!! What have I done! If someone out there can suggest a way to bring her to life then I'm all ears - obviously without dumping the Prodrive exhaust!
Old 11 May 2007, 04:26 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

The headers are not equal on the uk 2.5l sti's m8.
The center section is reducing the burble, cos its a rather good silencer aparently. Change it for a straight through center section leaving the rest of the exhaust std.
Old 11 May 2007, 07:47 AM
New_scooby_04

If you want more of a burble,try the Afterburner vortex from subaru impreza parts from scoobyworld, suppliers of high performance products for your Subaru There are sound clips on the site.

But only if you have quite understanding neighbours!!

Ns04
Old 11 May 2007, 09:02 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

mate ive got the same system on my 99 classic and yeah ur right it isnt as deep as i want either, however i have heard 2 mates classics both with the hayward & scott backbox and it sounds so nice, deeper and purposeful than the scoobysport which is now made by janspeed and is quieter, get yourself the hayward and scott backbox and u will be very happy.
Old 11 May 2007, 10:27 AM
92typeRA
Scooby Regular

i just took a HKS super drager off and put and H&S jap 1 one very loude
Old 11 May 2007, 11:39 AM
NAY93WRX
Scooby Regular

terry3333,

I had the standard subaru exhaust on my 93WRX...could'nt hear any burble whatsoever.
I then had a custom 2.5 inch centre section mated to a 3" inlet 'jap' style back box...lovely sound!
then I thought f*ck it, bought a 3" decat downpipe from Exhausts uk and had that mated to custom 3" centre pipework into the backbox....3" bore turbo to backbox with no silencers

Its a bit loud day to day but when you give it some beans it sounds like a rally car
Old 11 May 2007, 11:59 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

i was referring to the classic style backbox, not too loud unlike the jap style which imo are too loud.
Originally Posted by 92typeRA
i just took a HKS super drager off and put and H&S jap 1 one very loude