Notices

Can you chop and change exhaust parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 01:20 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Can you chop and change exhaust parts?

Fitted to my car at the moment is I think a Magnex downpipe and Miltek centre and back box all stainless.

The exhast exit is quite small at 3" and I was thinking about getting something a bit meatier. Would it be possible to buy a back box say like an afterburner or similar and fit it to the centre section? Or would I have to replace the lot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

/edit - also if changing the backbox/exhaust would I then need my ECUTEK re-mapping to suit?
Old 03 June 2004, 01:36 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most exhaust pieces are designed to fit the standard exhaust, if should be able to just swap bits out. just be careful incase you centre section relies on the back box you have etc.
Old 03 June 2004, 01:39 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm aware the after market exhausts companies design there components to bolt onto the standard components... so in theory they should match with each other too.

I have an H & S Downpipe, standard centre section, with a Prodrive B Box.

Just a B Box change will not need a re-map.

But a full de-cat may reap more benefits with one.. plus it may highlight any fuelling issues.
Old 03 June 2004, 07:41 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Fitted to my car at the moment is I think a Magnex downpipe and Miltek centre and back box all stainless.

The exhast exit is quite small at 3" and I was thinking about getting something a bit meatier. Would it be possible to buy a back box say like an afterburner or similar and fit it to the centre section? Or would I have to replace the lot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

/edit - also if changing the backbox/exhaust would I then need my ECUTEK re-mapping to suit?
i think there may be a few exceptions to the rule out there (HKS b/box rings a bell), but as far as my own experience goes i think you should be able to chop and change to your hearts(wallets)content.
at one time or another i've mated std to magnex throughout the system in various orders and recently fitted a TSL firestorm b/box which went straight on to the magnex no worries.

i've had a TEK2 remap done with the full magnex decat and when i changed to the firestorm, i phoned up the mappers to check this would be ok and they said i'd have no problems with any make of aftermarket b/box i put on.