Notices

urgent help - fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 08:11 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urgent help - fuel leak

When I went to the car this morning I could smell fuel - I've looked underneath (on axle stands) and the pipe between the filler cap and tank is leaking -

Is this easy to replace ? Do I need to fully drain the tank (though its doing that itself at the moment !)

Any tips ?

Bit of an emergency, as you can imagine....

Mark
Old 04 June 2004, 11:16 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm replying to this myself, having done the job - in case it comes up in someones search.....

The pipe is connected to the wing, at the filler with 3 screws. It is also fastened to the inner wing with a single bolt. Remove the plastic guard over the pipe. Undo the 3 screws and the single bolt, and the clip holding the air return pipe (in the wheel arch). The pipe is fastened at the petrol tank end onto a rubber hose with a jubilee clip. (You will need to be under the car to access this) If the pipe is leaking, and is now empty, no more fuel will come out once this jubilee clip is undone, as it is in the top of the tank - the pipe to the filler only has fuel in via either filling at the petrol station, or when the fuel is thrown around by driving the car. (i.e. The tank does NOT have to be drained)

The pipe is easier to remove with the rear O/S wheel removed.

I replaced it with one from Grade A subaru (Thanks chaps).

The whole job took 3 hours, including drilling (VERY carefully) one of the screws at the filler cap end.

Mark