Notices

desperate help for a sickly gtb

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2004, 12:49 PM
davidroylance
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy desperate help for a sickly gtb

Can anyone please help? I replaced the alloy water manifold on top of the engine block (the bit that the top hose from the radiator goes on to) which obviously meant disconnecting lots of hoses and removing the inlet manifold. After reconnecting everything the car did start but running badly to say the least. There was a big smell of petrol from the tail pipe and now the car won't start at all. Also, both fans come on with the ignition now, but they weren't while the engine was running. Car is getting me seriously depressed now and doesn't want to be fixed. Year of manufacture is 1995, it's booked in at the dealers for next week and I'm terrified of what they will charge me in labour. Could it be that the ECU needs resetting? If so how? Any thoughts anyone please?

Last edited by davidroylance; 13 May 2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 19 May 2004, 06:33 PM
markrs2000
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by davidroylance
Can anyone please help? I replaced the alloy water manifold on top of the engine block (the bit that the top hose from the radiator goes on to) which obviously meant disconnecting lots of hoses and removing the inlet manifold. After reconnecting everything the car did start but running badly to say the least. There was a big smell of petrol from the tail pipe and now the car won't start at all. Also, both fans come on with the ignition now, but they weren't while the engine was running. Car is getting me seriously depressed now and doesn't want to be fixed. Year of manufacture is 1995, it's booked in at the dealers for next week and I'm terrified of what they will charge me in labour. Could it be that the ECU needs resetting? If so how? Any thoughts anyone please?
Hi there,
sounds like your coolant temperature sensor has packed up, normally if you have a sensor failure the engine goes into fail safe mode and automatically switches cooling fans on to prevent over heating etc and normally gives reduced power to the engine, this is so you can get the car to "limp home" or to your local subaru dealer and have the fault corrected. No guarantees but try changing sensor and have your ecu reset(not sure how to do this without the little computer that subaru plug into diagnostic plug) I believe the coolant temperature sensor is located in the alloy pipe that you just fitted, also check the wiring harness and plug that connects to sensor for damaged wires etc. Hope this helps good luck...

Mark(2000 GTB twin turbo)
Old 19 May 2004, 09:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its a scooby then...

if its a 95

to check the fault codes connect black / black under the dash
(a pair of conectors one black/ black and green green)

to reset ecu

black / black green/ green connectors together

turn on ignition.....depress throttle fully for 2secs then releas to halfway for 2 secs then lift off

start engine and drive slowly no over 3000rpm when reset done cel will flash constantly,, disconnect b/b g/g

if the cel gives a different code, thats the fault that needs checking

mart

Last edited by mart360; 19 May 2004 at 09:39 PM.