Legacy GTB twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 10:14 PM
markrs2000
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Legacy GTB twin turbo

Hi everyone,
I have just purchased a 1998 subaru legacy gtb twin turbo(new shape) it is a japanese import. Can someone help? the car is an automatic and when i put it into reverse it makes a beeping sound in the cabin (this is very annoying!) I have investigated this a little and found that the noise comes from the shift lock unit mounted on the o/s/f lower dashboard area.I tried unplugging this and the beeping stopped but then with this disconnected i can't get the key out of the ignition,this is so that you can't take the key out unless the gearbox is in park.How can i get around this? or should i get the shift lock unit from a u.k car? Also how can i stop the annoying chime that tells you that the key is in the ignition? Cheers.
Old 12 May 2004, 03:01 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That "lock" is a safety feature, and also stops you starting the car in gear. Since all the bits talk to each other (as you found out) there is no gaurantee that a work around won't cause something else to act wierdly, or cause a major fault that leads to an accident (although stopping the beep should be possible unless it is also part of the safety deal).

The chime when the door is open is to hopefully prevent peeps leaving their keys in the car (makes you pull the thing out doesn't it ).

Anyway, good luck with getting it as you want it, just don't tell your insurance about fiddling with a safety feature

btw, you do know that the TT does not react in the same way as the Impreza motor does to mods, don't you? Just be very cautious (IMHO of course) - perhaps join the yahoo group "legacyb4" where lotsa TT owners gather.

Cheers

Last edited by AJbaseBloke; 12 May 2004 at 03:06 AM. Reason: add stuff