bmw idling too rich

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 12:55 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bmw idling too rich

Hey guys apoligises for the long post

Had a problem with my car for a while now and really hoping someone could help with some suggestions. The cars a Bmw 325 (E36) 94 model. The car runs well but when idling it runs far too rich with a fuel smell from the back of the exhaust. I have checked for any obvious air hoses not being connected and the air filter is clean. I cleaned out the idle stabilisation valve as it wasnt idling great to start with and im not certain but the problem may have started after that. the bmw garage say its got a starchip so to get a new ecu but this seems unlikely to be the problem as the problem's only at idle speed. They also said the air flow meter but again surely this would show problems throughout the rev range. they also tested it and confirmed the problem was only at idle speed.

I'm tempted to try a new idle valve for about £100 or could put it into an auto electrician and get another unclear answer like bmw gave me for my £50 spent with them. Anyone had a similar problem or got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Richard
Old 11 May 2004, 08:38 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Ive got a mate, with a 318IS mtech version on an L plate, i think his is E46, but his car suffers terrrible with the idle hunting, and BMW have told him its the idle control valve...

maybe its a common problem??

i had a look round, and there is a similar forum to this for bmw's ..i cant remember the name tho, it maybe worth a search, and put a post up on there.

Frank
Old 11 May 2004, 11:55 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

right thanks i've had a search and found a BMW forum so im registering for it and ill have a search for any similar posts.

Richard