Notices

Negative air Pressure ???

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2004, 05:23 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative air Pressure ???

I have removed my Tmic for a Fmic, There is now a void where the Tmic was, Somebody was telling that the bonnet Scoop will now cause negative air pressure in the engine Bay !!!

Is this True ??? or Bumpkin, Should i block the scoop Off //

Cheers

Dean
Old 10 May 2004, 05:46 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
I have removed my Tmic for a Fmic, There is now a void where the Tmic was, Somebody was telling that the bonnet Scoop will now cause negative air pressure in the engine Bay !!!
Lol, no, it's the other way round. The scoop causes positive pressure, when, with an FMIC, this may not be a good thing.

Is this True ??? or Bumpkin, Should i block the scoop Off?
The theories behind underbonnet airflow are quite complex, and it's difficult to give a definative answer. The best approach may be to get a cheap LCD temperature display and remote probe from somewhere like Maplin, and do some blocked/unblocked comparisons with the probe in various parts of the engine bay, or, even better, actually monitoring the charge temperature.

Blocking the scoop may well encourage airflow through the engine bay from the front entries (and hence over the FMIC and rad), although it's unlikely to make a huge amount of difference either way.
Old 11 May 2004, 08:19 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Cheers Grease Monkey
Lol, Yes thats the fellow , Er Doh positive pressure, I'll pinch the temp probe from our server room, Who cares if a few servers die, Scoobs are more important

Don't suppose yopu can advise on my Turbo blow in Drive train ??

DEan
Old 12 May 2004, 12:52 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

A lot of the Yank's with fmics are turning their scoops around to face the windscreen. Looks horrible IMHO but should be advantages if my understanding of fluid dynamics is correct (not my understanding of spelling which is not)

Dave..
Old 13 May 2004, 11:36 PM
Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Hmm, trouble is, the area just in front of the screen is a high pressure area,I guess thats why Subaru put it there ! the area just behind the nose i.e. towards the front of bonnet is a low pressure area, so thats where you want your exit for the airflow, just go and look at some propper racing sportscars with front mounted rads. The highest pressure area is obviously the front of the car, hence the benefit of putting the intercooler there.
Old 14 May 2004, 12:31 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chaddy
Hmm, trouble is, the area just in front of the screen is a high pressure area,I guess thats why Subaru put it there ! the area just behind the nose i.e. towards the front of bonnet is a low pressure area, so thats where you want your exit for the airflow, just go and look at some propper racing sportscars with front mounted rads. The highest pressure area is obviously the front of the car, hence the benefit of putting the intercooler there.
Well it would be a high pressure area if there wasn't a scoop there. I think I'd expect lower pressure directly behind the scoop and towards the scuttle panel/windscreen erm.... joint. I think turning the scoop around would lower the pressure more, too.... however weird it looks.

Airflow is needed for the radiator and i/c to work, high pressure is what made you put an FMIC there in the first place. The advantages of placing them on the front of the car are smooth, cold and relatively predictable airflow.

J.
Old 14 May 2004, 03:26 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Hmm, Had a quick look at turning the scoop around (3 Secs) & it looks like it would not fit in the opposite direction without some modifying.. Hey , Brilliant idea , Just fit a Sport Bonnet , WooOOooo HOOOoooo, problem solved

Dean
Old 14 May 2004, 03:45 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

How do Nissan Pulsar/Gti-r's go on then , There is no way they can turn there scoop around & that forced air pressure will be closer to the Rad/ Intercooler ???
Old 14 May 2004, 06:01 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Given how many people run a fmic with a scoop and have no bother, I wouldn't consider it too much of an issue.

Dave