Throttle Position Sensor & incorrect speedo

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2004, 02:27 PM
gbljde
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Throttle Position Sensor & incorrect speedo

Hi all

I have a coupl of problems with my 1997 Turbo and was hoping someone could help.

I have recently had the CEL flash on for a second or so when lifting off, going down slip road normally. The car would appear to be fine although the revs sometimes settle at 11000 before dropping to 900 or so. The error code comes up as a 31 - Throttle position sensor. Is this a major problem and roughly how much do I have to save??

The other problem comes from having a new gearbox fitted. My speedo is now inaccurate in that 70mph reads 80mph on mine. Should something have been taken from the old gearbox and put on the new one? Also I'm told that this can be sorted bu adjusting the voltage sent from the gearbox to the speedo? Any ideas?

Thanks

Jez
Old 10 May 2004, 03:26 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

11,00 rpm

They generally aren't fixable, and its quite an easy job to replace it. A new one is quite a lot of money, about £140, but I would reccomend ringing Grade A Subaru for a £50 used one. They do require setting up (aslo very simple) and you'll need a voltmeter to work out the adjustment of the sensor. Let me know if you need help setting it up.

Not sure on the speedo one?

MB
Old 10 May 2004, 03:37 PM
gbljde
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Mark

Case of the sticky '0' button!!

I'll certainly need some help as I'm kind of new to this game and also the contact details of Grade A Subaru if you have them?

J

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
11,00 rpm

They generally aren't fixable, and its quite an easy job to replace it. A new one is quite a lot of money, about £140, but I would reccomend ringing Grade A Subaru for a £50 used one. They do require setting up (aslo very simple) and you'll need a voltmeter to work out the adjustment of the sensor. Let me know if you need help setting it up.

Not sure on the speedo one?

MB
Old 10 May 2004, 04:06 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

http://www.gradea-subaru.co.uk/

Just PM me when you need it doing. It lives on the throttle body, and has a black plug connecter on it. Basically just a spring inside and acts as a potentiometer giving 0-5v (0 being closed 5 being fully open) Theres a bolt on either side of the TPS unit, and that allows the adjustment for setting it up. You need it reading 0.5v +/- 0.5v when fully closed...

MB