Notices

Help Please: Re-Oiling Green Panel Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2004, 07:13 PM
NigelT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help Please: Re-Oiling Green Panel Air Filter

Hi to all those with more mechanical ability in their little finger than I have full stop. I've got a Green Air Filter and I have just cleaned it with the Green Cleaner kit. So now I looked at the instructions for oiling and they say "Spray the interior surface of the filter with oil uniformly". Now would the interior surface of a flat panel filter be the top side, which essentially faces the MAF, i.e. the side you really don't want ther to be any oil?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions (with respect to oiling the air filter that is :-).

Cheers,
NigelT.
Old 08 May 2004, 07:45 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Hi Nigel,

I have a WRX03 with a green panel filter installed and presume the layout is the same. You are supposed to oil the top of it i.e. the side you see when pulling the filter out of the airbox (the side which is flush most with the rubber rim).

Just incase you don't already know, make sure you let the filter oil soak in properly before you use it!

Hope this helps

Frank
Old 08 May 2004, 07:55 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

And don't over do it! Many of the MAF sensor problems that have occured with oiled filters are after re-oiling, which suggest that perhaps people are being a little too generous with the oil. If you're not sure, I would suggest getting the STI paper filter - available for about £40 shipped direct from Japan by JapanParts.

Chris
Old 08 May 2004, 10:46 PM
NigelT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. That confirms my understanding of the instructions, which gives me more confidence. I was planning on lightly oiling the filter then leaving it stood on some paper for a few hours to make sure any excess had run out.

Cheers,
NigelT