Notices

Starting car thats been off the road for a year

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2004, 04:04 PM
Hobbsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting car thats been off the road for a year

Due to major works on my house I have not moved my Sti 3 for about a year. What precautions should I take before starting it up. Thinking of removing the plugs turning over to get oil pressure then starting it up per normal from there. Any other suggestions?
Old 05 May 2004, 04:17 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Due to major works on my house I have not moved my Sti 3 for about a year. What precautions should I take before starting it up. Thinking of removing the plugs turning over to get oil pressure then starting it up per normal from there. Any other suggestions?
Just been trying to start a reno 5 that aint moved since september, take the king lead off and turn the engine over, get some oil circulation, also once started dont drive til up to temp and even then I wouldnt be tempted to put my foot down for a few miles. get some proper circulation going check levels (oil and water )

might also be worth getting a jerry can of optimax, the petrol in your car would have gone off and wouldnt be much cop now, defo not worth risking it esspecially on a car like these
Old 05 May 2004, 04:45 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Charge the battery!
Check the brakes actually release, particularly the handbrake. Discs/calipers can probably be manipulated though the handbrake (drums) might be more problematic.
You can stop it from attempting to fire by removing the TPS on the block (do a search on 'oil change procedure'. ...Or take the plugs out to remove compression too.
Allow fuel pump to presurise before trying to start it.
Cross fingers and hope.
Dunno what the effect on petrol and OB is from a prolonged standing, so I'd keep it off boost until it needs a re-fill.

J.
Old 05 May 2004, 05:18 PM
Hobbsy
Scooby Regular

There I was thinking the battery would be ok! Seriously though handbrake was left off so hopefully no seizeures there. So looks like well worth removing the plugs. Will be staying well off boost as been driving around in a 1987 1.1 fiesta so anything going to feel fast. Two weekends ago started up TR7 V8 that had been sitting outside under a cover for 2 years. Removed plugs turned over, plugs back in started within 10 seconds of turning over. Even got away with the clutch. Had wedged it down to the floor before laying up. Wouldn't let me select any gears whilst engine running, let some heat build up in the engine compartment and it come free by itself. Then drove it off its resting place into its nice new garage. Hope Scoobs going to be as simple.
Old 05 May 2004, 07:45 PM
torment
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There I was thinking the battery would be ok! Seriously though handbrake was left off so hopefully no seizeures there. So looks like well worth removing the plugs. Will be staying well off boost as been driving around in a 1987 1.1 fiesta so anything going to feel fast. Two weekends ago started up TR7 V8 that had been sitting outside under a cover for 2 years. Removed plugs turned over, plugs back in started within 10 seconds of turning over. Even got away with the clutch. Had wedged it down to the floor before laying up. Wouldn't let me select any gears whilst engine running, let some heat build up in the engine compartment and it come free by itself. Then drove it off its resting place into its nice new garage. Hope Scoobs going to be as simple.
Firstly....If the car was ran with the old oil left in,Prior to being laid up ...The acids will have been trying to devistate the lead indium on the bearings...And this should be the first priority,To remove the old oil and replenish with new,Also..If you are removing the plugs,A couple of drops of engine oil down the bores would no doubt take no harm...Also,after 3 years...Watch the petrol octane..(As already stated)And perhaps a drain and replenish,Would be of benifit....3 years is a long time for a car to stand..Under any conditions...Good luck.