Notices

Over boost ??????

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2004, 04:35 PM
davidsti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over boost ??????

Hi folks,after reading some of the threads i think i may be sufering from over boost,the engine hesitates at about 4 thou then again at about 5 1/2 thou,its like hitting a brick wall,it throughs u forword in the seat,i have also discovered a greedy boost controller(manual)that is not connected up,could this cure the problem ????if it does need conecting ,were do i connect it to???
The car is a MY95 STi ver2 (it also as an hks induction kit) any help would gratefull

Thanks David......
Old 04 May 2004, 04:47 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by davidsti
Hi folks,after reading some of the threads i think i may be sufering from over boost,the engine hesitates at about 4 thou then again at about 5 1/2 thou,its like hitting a brick wall,it throughs u forword in the seat,i have also discovered a greedy boost controller(manual)that is not connected up,could this cure the problem ????if it does need conecting ,were do i connect it to???
The car is a MY95 STi ver2 (it also as an hks induction kit) any help would gratefull

Thanks David......
HI David

I have the same car so heres some advice. Take the induction kit off and put the standard airbox back on. Replace the spark plugs with NGK PFR7B's and while the coil packs are off check for any cracked ones. Also you should only be running your car on optimax + octane booster unless you get a scoobyecu or similar. I would also advise you to get a knocklink to check for det and a lambdalink to check how the car is fuelling along with a boost gauge to check all is well with the turbo/engine.

Ask if you need any more help
Stuart

BTW my bet is on coil packs (replaced them recently myself) oh and forget the boost controller they are bad news unless you know what you are doing!
Old 05 May 2004, 03:29 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

1. Clean wastegate solenoid and hoses.

2. Check restrictor is not blocked/clogged.

3. Check T-piece is not blocked/clogged.

4. Check engine oil is halfway between min and max.

The manual boost controller IS an option, providing you're sensible, and have the monitoring devices coulty has mentioned (Knocklink, AFR gauge, boost gauge). You don't necessarily have to increase the boost, you could keep it at stock level. The main point is that it does away with the wastegate solenoid, T-piece, and restrictor, so if any of those are causing your problem...
Old 05 May 2004, 03:47 PM
davidsti
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info ,fitting new plugs this weekend,ordering a knock link asap,is there any links to Pics or info on how to

1. Clean wastegate solenoid and hoses.

2. Check restrictor is not blocked/clogged.

3. Check T-piece is not blocked/clogged.

Thanks DavidSTi
Old 05 May 2004, 04:25 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Dunno if it's the same for your MY...

- inside the engine bay, check the driver's suspension turret for a small blue cylindrical device with either 2 or 3 small hoses connected to it.

- connect the green connectors together beneath the steering column.

- turn ignition on (but not engine) and ensure rad fans are starting/stopping, plus lots of clicking coming from engine bay.

- go back to wastegate solenoid, remove hoses, spray lots of brake cleaner inside solenoid and hoses, put back together.

- turn ignition off, disconnect green connectors, go for a drive.

Try that first, it'll probably sort your problem. If not, post back and we'll move on to the restrictor and T-piece.

Incidentally, what level is your engine oil at...?