Notices

Clutch pedal adjustment......?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2004, 07:46 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal adjustment......?

Hi all, I recently had a new Borg and Beck clutch fitted to my 96 uk turbo wagon. Before I had the clutch fitted the pedal would not always return and once the new one was fitted it was still the same.

Yesterday, during a routine check over and oil change etc etc I had the pedal adjusted by the mechanic, thing is that the pedal is now probably too tight and literally snaps back farely aggressively.

Any ideas on how to adjust the pedal?

Thanx.

Skoosh.
Old 01 May 2004, 08:57 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On top of the gearbox is the clutch lever. There is a return spring fitted to it. Change this and it will alter how the pedal returns.
Old 02 May 2004, 07:32 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do as Mark says first. If no different, take the pedal assister spring off.
To do this:
Remove the battery leads as you will have the socket set between the dash wires!
Remove the 2 nuts that hold the clutch reservior to the bulkhead/pedal assembly from insude the engine bay.
Remove the lower dash panel (4 screws I think) to expose the under dash and the pedals.
There is a fulcrum pin linking the pedal to the push rod yoke which links to the master cyclinder. Remove the awkward clip and pull the pin out sideways.
Take a socket on a long extension and remove the one bolt fastening the pedal frame to the body (12mm I think) and with a pull/twist/swear it will drop on your head....
On the workbench you will see the huge spring assembly, about as big as a Mini's valve spring!
Remove the lot, carefully.
Reassemble it all back.
The pedal will now return totally every time. It will not have the absolute solid 'fully-up' feeling as before but at least it comes to the top!

I know believe me how irritating this can be, so give it a try after Mark's tweek(which could correct the problem on it's own.
Good luck.