can a dump valve 'blow off'?!

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2004, 07:04 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a dump valve 'blow off'?!

Hi all
Just went for a little drive and as i floored it onto the motorway it didnt feel to good so i came off the power. So when i came off and was on the road home i found that the dump valve wouldnt make its usual whip noise. When i got home and popped the bonnet, nothing had come loose and the only thing that i did manage to move was the dump valve pipe attached to the ic pipe. On doing so, there was a slight engine note change. So in fear, i havent driven the car and have now disconnected the battery for the night.
SO, is all ok?

Johnny
Old 29 April 2004, 09:13 PM
scoobiestu
Scooby Regular

sounds like the i/c pipe is leaking where the dumpvalve is fitted (if engine note changed has it got a jubilee clip on it or is it one of those crappy spring clip jobbies?
Old 29 April 2004, 09:36 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiestu
sounds like the i/c pipe is leaking where the dumpvalve is fitted (if engine note changed has it got a jubilee clip on it or is it one of those crappy spring clip jobbies?
Hi mate
To be honest, when carrying out one of my 'inquisitive' inspections of my engine, i broke off half of the tube bit that comes off the ic pipe into the dump valve piping some time ago!! Hasnt really caused any problems uptill now, but have upgraded my ecu and now have a full de catted system and a dawes on order so maybe i should replace it!!
So thats more than likely the problem then? Must replace it with a jubi as its got on of those really poor spring clip things!!

Johnny
Old 29 April 2004, 09:39 PM
scoobiestu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny sti
Hi mate
To be honest, when carrying out one of my 'inquisitive' inspections of my engine, i broke off half of the tube bit that comes off the ic pipe into the dump valve piping some time ago!! Hasnt really caused any problems uptill now, but have upgraded my ecu and now have a full de catted system and a dawes on order so maybe i should replace it!!
So thats more than likely the problem then? Must replace it with a jubi as its got on of those really poor spring clip things!!

Johnny
was it the little thin one on the dumpvalve itself by any chance!
Old 30 April 2004, 07:42 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Think you've answered your own question mate...
Sounds like it's the vacum pipe you broke...they are pretty fragile to be honest.