Notices

Overboost... again!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2004, 07:44 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overboost... again!!

Sorry to bring this old chesnut up again.. I think its a fairly common problem, its on a 98 UK Wagon, basically in 3rd, 4th, 5th once the engine is hot (say after 1/2 hours driving) the car starts trying to boost to 18psi, at which point the engine temporary cuts out..

Ive had the problem before, and someone suggested cleaning the solenoids on the boost controller, but when I took them out everything was sealed, with no-way of dismantling them.. But stranglely when I reassembled everything the problem had gone, for a few months anyway...

Any ideas??

Cheers

Chris
Old 25 April 2004, 07:50 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Wink

Fit a manual boost controller.
Jt
Old 25 April 2004, 10:30 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Buy new hoses and clean your solenoid by connecting the two grey adaptors under your steering wheel (turn the key on without firing) while spray brake cleaner!
JIM
Old 25 April 2004, 10:51 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

is fuel cut for this MY not 17.6psi or is that only Jap variants? how violent is the 'temporary cuts out'?
Old 26 April 2004, 03:02 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

When you say you tried to dismantle, how do you mean? All you need to do is pull the hose off the end...! Before you do that though, you need to connect the green connectors together beneath the steering column (not grey Jim Theo ), then turn the ignition on (but don't fire the engine). Relays should start clicking, and the rad fans will come on and go off. Now spray brake cleaner inside the solenoid and hose(s) that you removed.

It's also possible your restrictor is slightly blocked. It's in the hose to the right of the T-piece (should be able to see a slight bulge), between the compressor outlet and wastegate actuator. You could try forcing some brake cleaner through there as well.

If either of these are the cause of your overboost, you engine oil might be over-filled. Make sure it's around halfway between min and max.

A manual boost controller would definitely sort the problem, as that doesn't use the wastegate solenoid or restrictor...
Old 26 April 2004, 07:57 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Cheers, that more than likely answers it. Last time I removed the whole assembly from the car and basically took everything apart trying to find a blockage. I diddnt realise that with the Ecu reset plugs joined that the solenoids constantly opened & shut allowing anything to be sprayed through.

As soon as i get some spray brake cleaner I'll give it a go..

Thanks again

Chris