Overheating Forester X(AW)

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2004, 10:19 AM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Overheating Forester X(AW)

Hi,

My mate has a new normally aspirated Forester (X All Weather) which keeps deciding to overheat and throw its water out all over the road.

This has happened twice now, both on long journeys whilst cruising (at normal cruising speed) on the motorway.

The Forester is about 6 months old.

My mate has taken it back to the dealer (Oaken) both times, but they don't seem to have a clue what the problem is.
They've apparently checked the thermostat and the ECU for errors, done a reset etc.
Oaken have apparently also put a report into Subaru Technical - but as yet nothing has come back.

Generally everything is fine (even on most long journeys), but every now and then it all goes pear shaped.

As you can imagine, he's now getting extremely pis$$ed off with the situation - particularly as his shiny new Forester is now far less reliable that his Missus' Fiat!

I know it's a long shot - but has anybody got and ideas?
Seriously - this is beyond a joke now!

Thanks in anticipation!
Old 20 April 2004, 10:59 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bother getting help here, the car is so new that your friend potentially has grounds for rejecting as being not fit for purpose.
Document all incidents of failure and send to supplying garage and IM.
State that the car should go in for warranty repair and not appear back until cured. Demand a courtesy car during repair.
If no reply then run the car into ground when it has overheated. Subaru Assist will then have to pick up the pieces.

I can't believe that the supplying garage has this attitude to a problem - its something that US customers would go crazy over but seems to be acceptable in the UK.
Nick
Old 20 April 2004, 04:04 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Butty
I can't believe that the supplying garage has this attitude to a problem - its something that US customers would go crazy over but seems to be acceptable in the UK.
Nick
I know - it's rediculous!
Oaken are generally extremely good, but on this occasion they've really let my mate down, big time.
Have to say, it has given my confidence in them a big knock - just when I'm starting to consider replacing my Impreza!
I can understand that it's a difficult one to get to the bottom of, but it would be good if they at least appeared to be trying to do something to put this right!

Is it possible, as a customer, to speak directly to IM? (presumably - no way!)
Does anyone here have access to the Subaru Technical bulletins?

Rich