Notices

Advice on rolling rear arches?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2004, 06:08 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on rolling rear arches?

Can anyone tell me what's involved with rolling the rear arches on a MY99 UK car?

I'm running a set of Speedline Turini's 18", had 215/35/18's on originally but changed to 225/40/18 cos the 215s were cr@p (stretched too tight across rim). The 225s have made the world of difference to the handling but now I'm getting the occasional rub on the rear arches when negotiating speed humps etc.

Thanks!

Greg
Old 08 April 2004, 10:23 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Hullo greg,How ya doing mate?

I used to have trouble with my Turini's rubbing with 215/35's tyres,let alone 225/40's

I solved the problem by buying a new car,lol,

But a few(read:many) years ago have some arches rolled on a pug GTi at 'Motorcolour'
they are just along from Meridian studios,turn left where Fox's car showroom used to be,last unit on the left.

maybe worth a try,if not give me a call at work tuesday as I may know of another local bodyshop who could help.

Jon

Last edited by Elmer Fudpucker; 08 April 2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08 April 2004, 10:37 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hiya Jon,

I heard that you've got a new toy to play with - are you coming out on Monday night? No problems with my tyres on 215s, although keeping a straight line was often a problem! I'll give these guys a whirl and see what they can do.

Cheers mate

Greg
Old 09 April 2004, 09:21 AM
colin c
Scooby Regular

Hi Greg try Southcoast wheels because they used to have the special tool for rolling the arches. Interesting to know about the 225's because I was also planning to change from my elastic band 215/35 18's for the same reason.

Colin.
Old 09 April 2004, 09:34 AM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem & had to roll the rear arches on my '98 wrx. I borrowed the tool from a friendly local tyre fitter which is very easy to use & did it myself. Just make sure you reseal inside the arch as the paint will crack ever so slightly even with heat applied.

Chris
Old 09 April 2004, 06:20 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Colin, Chris,

Thanks for your input - much appreciated. A few options are a great help!

Cheers

Greg
Old 09 April 2004, 06:52 PM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

Even managed to find u a pic of the tool in action !

Chris
Old 09 April 2004, 06:59 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

You can buy the tool here

Allan
Old 09 April 2004, 06:59 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chris,

You're a star mate!! I'll take a trip up to my local friendly tyreshop and see if they have a such a tool...

Thanks again,

Greg
Old 09 April 2004, 07:01 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Allan,

Nice one - although I think that I probably won't be buying one!

Cheers

Greg
Old 09 April 2004, 07:02 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

LOL I was hoping you would......so that I could borrow it
Old 09 April 2004, 08:05 PM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

Lol

It really is easy to use, we were going to buy it from the very same place in Allans's link, but I happened to call our local tyre place, asked them if they knew of anyone that did arch rollin' & said they had the tool but weren't confident enough to use it on customers cars so agreed to lend it to me for a drink ! Top chaps
Old 09 April 2004, 09:08 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chris,

Sounds like a good bunch to know - excellent price!!! Where are you based????

Cheers

Greg
Old 09 April 2004, 09:12 PM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

We're in Harefield, Middlesex.

If we're not too far away & you get stuck then gimme a buzz as I'm sure he'd lend it to us again to do yours
Old 10 April 2004, 04:38 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Booked in at South Coast Wheels for next Sat, cost will be £25 per arch so not too bad really......... noone else seems to have the gear locally. Shame you aren't closer Chris!

Cheers

Greg
Old 11 April 2004, 01:45 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem with 225x40x18 I get contact on only the n/s tyre wall, which is now quite badly chewed. I replaced the dampers thinking it might help.

Was thinking of trying 215s or even selling the wheels before reading this thread. I'll try the local tyre places on the off chance. £25 a side, for arch rolling, sounds well worth it.
Old 11 April 2004, 09:10 AM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Don't go to 215s unless you know that the tyre profile will fit properly on your rims! My wheels are 8J, and the Toyo Proxes I had were a nightmare - really skittish on the road and following every flaw on the road surface. I thought it was geometry causing the problem at first, but a visit back to Powerstation confirmed my settings were OK. My front nearside tyre had worn the inside egde away from me constantly pulling the steering against the road!
Old 11 April 2004, 01:31 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your help, so I won't be switching to 215s. I also have 18" Turinis, with Pirelli P Zeros. When I changed the shocks there was signs of slight contact on the upright, where the paint had been rubbed off, no damage to the tyre though. Seems that 8" are just a bit wide. The offset is 48 but if it were any nearer the 53 recommended then the tyre would be hard on the shock.

I had the geometry done at TSL but I do get a bit of tramlining which I never did with the standard 205x50x16s

Let us know how you get on with having your arches rolled. If I can't find anywhere local to Bedford, I may have to ask where your place is, although Harefield's a lot closer for me than the South Coast
Old 11 April 2004, 06:01 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Gerry,

I'll let you know how things go with the arch rolling, seems there are a few of us who are having the same problem. No tramlining with the F1s thank god! I did ask one of the local crew who had switched to 225/40s about rubbing and he told me it wasn't a problem except when 4 adults up. I think my rear shocks may be getting a little too soft which doesn't help, have to see about a set of ASTs from Powerstation!!

Allan's link above says that they can give you a supplier in your area who can carry out arch rolling, might be worth an e-mail?

Cheers

Greg
Old 11 April 2004, 07:05 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Hi Greg,
Pirellis weren't by choice, they were already on the wheels, I quite like Toyos, the Pirellis seem to be a very square section. If I have a bit of weight in, I get the rubbing on dips in the road, not necessarily at speed, undulations in motorway surface can also cause it to catch, at bridges, fly-overs, etc. The shocks that came off seemed OK compared with the new ones, the near side didn't seem any softer although it had, when still on the car but only slight.

Can't figure why it's only the n/side doing it, maybe manufacturing tolerance in the arch?

Thanks for pointing out the info in Alan's link, should have read it properly first time. I'll give them a call next week as it's quite urgent. Don't know if a damaged sidewall is a nick, even if it's superficial?

BTW are you the Greg I bought some guages from a while back?

cheers
Gerry
Old 19 April 2004, 08:19 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Default Update.....

Well, my arches are now rolled but I still have contact when I have a car full. I'm going to have them double check that there is no more arch left to roll, or possibly they haven't rolled enough of the arch so that the tyre contacts when the suspension is compressed. On the plus side it's no problem now with driver + one....

Charged me £60 for both arches - apparently the £25 price was out of date.......

Colin when are you ordering your roller?!!!!!!

Gerry - yes, it's me.

Cheers all, update to follow????

Greg
Old 19 April 2004, 08:29 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Hi Greg,

I had a chase round for an outfit with the arch rolling tool and phone Scotford for someone in this area, all drew a blank. Spoke to a guy in a local bodyshop, who was recommended and he told me that he'd had to re-spray a couple of cars that had this done because of the paint cracking and rust forming. How did yours come out? Any signs of damage to the paint work?

Of course he would be inclined to say that sort of thing but quoted £150-£200 to roll re-spray and waxoyl the work. Could be the only alternative now.

BTW. Never fitted the guages. Bought Defis instead After buying a new boost guage
Old 19 April 2004, 09:22 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Hi Gerry,

Defis are in a different league......... the paintwork looks to have survived well, the bloke who did the work said that he had sealed the paint on the inside with underseal so I think that they do know what they're about. It might be a better option for you to troll down to see Chris in Middlesex.

Cheers

Greg
Old 19 April 2004, 09:32 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

I'll try Scotford again to see if there's anyone nearer. Unless Chris can do them for a good price?

Greg YHM
Old 20 April 2004, 07:45 AM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

My tyres still touch very occasionaly (ie fully loaded over very large dips) but it's quite rare.

There is always going to be a slight risk to the paintwork when rolling arches but providing your careful the only paint, that at worst will crack, is that under the arch which you'd seal anyway.

If you get stuck gimme a shout & I'll see if i can borrow the tool again (& it'll only cost you the price of me hiring the tool & a pint )

Chris
Old 20 April 2004, 09:08 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris, that sounds very reasonable I'll try again with Scotford and see what they say.

Gerry

YHM

Last edited by Houghton; 20 April 2004 at 09:10 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11 May 2004, 07:37 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Greg,
Thanks for a great thread. I went down to Chris' place today and they rolled the arches. Can't even see it's been done from the outside but the flanges have been turned almost vertical so it's given an extra 8mm or so. It looks like there's plenty of clearance now Even if the tyre does touch, which is unlikely, it'll touch a rounded edge and not a sharp flange.

Also had some small paint jobs including a rust spot smack in the middle of the driver's door and a couple of dents sorted, which you now wouldn't know had been there. Excellent place, 3-4 hours talking Scooby and drinking tea. Highly recommend them.

Thanks again

Gerry
Old 11 May 2004, 08:07 PM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Houghton
Excellent place, 3-4 hours talking Scooby and drinking tea. Highly recommend them.

Thanks again
It was my tea that did it wasnt it ! lol

Thanks for the kind words Gerry, that's a lovely car you've got there, keep us posted on how it goes with the new ecu.

Really nice to meet you

Chris
Old 11 May 2004, 08:28 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxsmo
Thanks for the kind words Gerry, that's a lovely car you've got there, keep us posted on how it goes with the new ecu.

Really nice to meet you

Chris
Hi Chris,

The words are no more than deserved IMHO

I'll let you know how Thursday's ecu and mapping goes and I'll try to fit in a RR session too before Japfest on the Saturday. Busy week methinks

Gerry
BTW, I'll probably be in touch about the colour coding on the sills before long. The more I think about it, the more appealing it is.
Old 11 May 2004, 09:31 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Sounds like I need to come up and see you soon - a few stone chips to sort plus it'd be great if you could check my arches are where they should be.....

Gerry - glad that someone else benefited from this - although I wish I'd travelled up to see Chris based on your comments!!

PS - I think the contact may be due to worn-out dampers - they've done 90k miles now so they're possibly a little tired... AST sound good

Cheers

Greg

Last edited by GregK; 11 May 2004 at 09:34 PM. Reason: cos I'm a dumbass..

Quick Reply: Advice on rolling rear arches?