KnockLink Sometimes thinks its Xmas.. And lights up the tree

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 11:18 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KnockLink Sometimes thinks its Xmas.. And lights up the tree

Hi all,
Any ideas. Had a knocklink fitted by Rob @ CCS Performance a few weeks back. After fitting took the car out and drove at full boost with det cans. Not a peep from the knocklink and Rob couldn't hear any det. Weather was cold and rainy. 1 hour later on the way home on the motorway flooring the throttle caused some oranges and then an occassional red. Turned round and went back. Took Chris out for a drive to witness it for himself. EVERY time I floored the car the think lit up like a Xmas tree. Made our way to the nearest Shell - refueled with Optimax and chucked in a bottle of Wynns octane booster. After that only 1 green on full boost......

Strange thing about this is ...
1) I was on the same tank of Optimax when there was no Knocklink activity in the beginning and on the way home when I had the problem. So couldn't have been the fuel. Assumed the octane booster was masking the real problem.

After that tank was finished - I filled up with Sainsbury SUL and DID NOT add octane booster and the car never went past 2 greens on the K/L. I admit the 2nd green was more active than on the 1st tank but since the previous tank had octane booster I was not surprised.

Today - filled up with BP Ultimate PLUS a bottle of Millers Octane plus - and guess what.... 2 oranges on the way home?!?!?
Today was warm and dry - the last time wet and cold.

I recently had the MAF and CO tested by Steve @ Northants Subaru and both checked out OK. There was a MAF error code on the diagnostics but no idea how old that was but have never had the CEL come on.

So where does this leave me. The fueling seems OK - the car is never strays over 1.1 bar boost and I don't think it is weather, fuel type or octane booster related. Wildest guess would be an intermittent faulty MAF ??

The car always starts and idles fine and pulls smoothly through the gears. Occassionaly will only make .5 bar boost but that is another problem I am sure.

Cheers
Old 26 March 2004, 11:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

right

sainsbrys SUL and that ****e ultimate stuff arnt as high as optimax for octane, switching and swapping your petrol about like such will probably confuse your ecu a tad
Old 27 March 2004, 09:54 AM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

Perhaps ... but remember the 1st time it happened I was on Optimax before and after the problem (the same tank!) so not sure... Point taken regards to chopping and changing fuels but unfortunately there is not an Optimax anywhere even remotely close to me........ Otherwise it would be Optimax every day. I also think BP ultimate is ****e now.... and won't use it again - but still think my car has some kind of problem....