Notices

CEL on long, steady speed runs

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 07:09 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CEL on long, steady speed runs

On a JDM '99 Forester S/tb, the CEL sometimes comes on but only after 2 or 3 hours of driving at motorway speeds, and when the car is fairly heavily laden.

It normally "clears" as soon as you ease off for a few seconds. The garage checked it when it was last in for a service, and told me it was probably a duff batch of petrol. But as it has now happened several more times (each time in the same circumstances) and I'm no longer convinced by the explanation.

It never happens at any other time, even after bouts of spirited driving. I'm beginning to wonder if its detting, but is it likely to do that when being driven relatively steadily/gently?
Old 26 March 2004, 10:38 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

A decent Subaru dealer should be able to plug the car in to the diagnostics and tell you exactly what the problem is and how to cure.

Brian
Old 26 March 2004, 11:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could well be the lambda sensor. I drove round for about 4 weeks with the lambda sensor disconnected before it came on when I was exploring high revs in a high gear. Seems quite random when it reports a fault at least on some of the ECUs. A four year old lambda sensor could well be a bit tired by now anyway.

Any backstreet garage could test the lambda of the exhaust gases for you. If it is close to 1 then you know the lambda sensor is OK.

On other 99/00 models (JDM and RoW) there are green and black under-dash connectors which you can use to recall present and historical fault codes.
Old 27 March 2004, 06:37 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Could well be the lambda sensor. I drove round for about 4 weeks with the lambda sensor disconnected before it came on when I was exploring high revs in a high gear. Seems quite random when it reports a fault at least on some of the ECUs. A four year old lambda sensor could well be a bit tired by now anyway.

Any backstreet garage could test the lambda of the exhaust gases for you. If it is close to 1 then you know the lambda sensor is OK.

On other 99/00 models (JDM and RoW) there are green and black under-dash connectors which you can use to recall present and historical fault codes.
John,

You're spot on with the diagnosis! Carried out a fault code test earlier today, and the CEL confirmed code 32.

Presumably, the lambda probe will now need to be replaced, or is it worth doing an ecu reset first just to confirm? Based on your previous comments, I assume that it is "safe" to continue driving even if the sensor is faulty?

With thanks for your help, which is much appreciated.
Old 28 March 2004, 08:43 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tentenths
John,

You're spot on with the diagnosis! Carried out a fault code test earlier today, and the CEL confirmed code 32.

Presumably, the lambda probe will now need to be replaced, or is it worth doing an ecu reset first just to confirm? Based on your previous comments, I assume that it is "safe" to continue driving even if the sensor is faulty?

With thanks for your help, which is much appreciated.
Anyone got any views/advice please?
Old 28 March 2004, 10:36 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife

swap the lamda, but an ECU reset is unessecary! IMHO mate