Notices

Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2004, 09:06 PM
Gonza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leakage

I have a 94uk and seem to be having a bit of trouble with my water!!! (car water!)
It would seem that i have a leak somewhere as over the past few days i have been checking daily and seem to be loosing a vast amount of water. i.e. For instance, I topped the water right up last night and let it run for a while till hot to get rid of any air pockets etc, there was some air coming from the expansion tank, which then i waited till it stopped coming out. Once cold again a couple of hours later the water was sitting at a good level in both header and coolant top-up tank.
However, today i had a round trip to southampton, (approx. hour drive one-way) car felt fine, didn't overheat. But when i got back to the car some 7 hours later, the header tank was empty!!!
There is no visible leaking or dripping under the car, however there does appear to be some splash marks onto the front conrner of the downpipe.
Now, my question is, do the water pipes run back that far and how do I find them? and also where is the water pump located?

Please note that I have checked the radiator and all pipes leading direct to the header tank and radiator and they are all bone dry, this is what really confuzzles me.

Many thanks for any help or advice.
Old 10 March 2004, 09:58 PM
Scooby 1998S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Water Leak!!!

Hi Gonza,

I had the same problem about 9 months ago, and even after a couple of visits to the dealer, we could find no cause, it seemed to eventually heal itself, as these things do, very frustrating.

Anyway, the problem came back last week and I traced the leak to a small pipe connecting to metal pipes under the air conditioning pump, without actually seeing the steam coming out, you would never know that there was a problem.

I'd look for all of the small pipes first as there seem to be a lot of them and the pipe clips that Subaru use pn small hose rely on spring tension rather than a mechanical fixing like a jubilee clip.

See the attached for a pic of all of the pipes used.
http://www.rallyofkent.co.uk/images/waterpipesa.gif

regards,

1998S