Notices

Anyone put a Dawes on a MY01

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2004, 08:14 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone put a Dawes on a MY01

Has anyone put a Dawes on a MY01 with no ill effects-or is it a big NO on the MY01 with std ecu+ decat.
Old 28 February 2004, 08:19 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a man that has had no probs with a dawes on MY01 but generally its a huge no no. Gotta admit the way he passed mine one day I was tempted but I hear they run lean and can go bang with a dawes, especially if its boost is turned up too high.
HTH
Spooks
Old 28 February 2004, 09:52 PM
loony toon
Scooby Regular

I had one fitted to my MY01 wrx before i got a full decat and ecotec.
it was good for power but it burnt the crap out of my cat turning the inside to black powder. allthough this sounds ok i was warned if the turbo got any of the debris in it then the turbo and possibly the engine would go bang!!!!

shame though the power increase was amazing !!!!

but i would say no unless you get a de cat

tony
Old 28 February 2004, 10:00 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

I know someone (very well) that has a Dawes on a standard MY03 WRX. This person, who has also used a Dawes on his MY00 for 2 plus years, reports no problems and big smiles. He also suggests setting boost just below the standard fuel cut - in general DO NOT go past this unless you know realy know what your doing and have the correct measuring equipment.

Originally Posted by Spooks
I know a man that has had no probs with a dawes on MY01 but generally its a huge no no. Gotta admit the way he passed mine one day I was tempted but I hear they run lean and can go bang with a dawes, especially if its boost is turned up too high.
HTH
Spooks
(Spooks) I'm interested to know where you found out about this problem. Was it from someone with first hand (bad) experience?
-Steve.
Old 29 February 2004, 06:44 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by stevecrisp
I know someone (very well) that has a Dawes on a standard MY03 WRX. This person, who has also used a Dawes on his MY00 for 2 plus years, reports no problems and big smiles. He also suggests setting boost just below the standard fuel cut - in general DO NOT go past this unless you know realy know what your doing and have the correct measuring equipment.

(Spooks) I'm interested to know where you found out about this problem. Was it from someone with first hand (bad) experience?
-Steve.

Steve--What measuring equipment is your friend(that you know very well) using?
Old 29 February 2004, 10:14 AM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevecrisp
-Steve.
It wasnt from first hand experiance,spoke to several people that have stated that higher boosts lead to Lean mixture and higher EGT's, more so when decatted. Lean mixture/ high EGT is extremely bad for these engines, more than most engines.
I may have misinterpreted but thats basically what I was told so I decided to not try it.
If you do decide that you want to fit a dawes, can I recommend at least boost guage and knocklink, as well as some other monitoring guages......I'm one of these "better safe than sorry" kinda guys lol
Spooks