Notices

oil pressure sender location advive

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2004, 08:05 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure sender location advive

I had an oil pressure sender buy scoobyclinic. They fitted under the intercooler buy removing a engine plug drilling and tapping it. It all worked well. I bought some new gauges and needed it changing and a oil temp sender fitting. I tried to get it in at scoobyclinic but they were swamped with scoobs, I ended up at scoobymania. I asked them to swap the sender and then fit the oil temp, and check my o2 sensor. Later in the day they rang me and told me the oil pressure had been fitted in the wrong place, and they had to fit the temp gauge there, and I would have to have a hose fitted to allow the pressure sender to be fitted from the point under the alternator. I went and picked it up later that day. I asked if they had found anything wrong with the o2 sensor, they said they had not tested it. After a bit of pressure they got the select monitor out plug it in and brought the voltage up. When I asked if that was normal I was told they that normally did things like this had left, and they weren’t sure. The guy did go and ask someone and told me it was normal (the reading was about .73v is this normal?) I then asked if they had retained my old pressure switch, I was told no. it could not be done. I thought you could put a t bar on the top of the hose to keep both.

I could not and still do not understand why they could not of fitted the pressure sender where the old one was (under the intercooler)and then fit the oil temp sensor somewhere else, if so where? I have ended up with exactly what I did not want. The unsightly hose coming from below the alternator and no original oil pressure sensor fitted and had to pay for the pleasure. How come scoobymania say the pressure sender was fitted in the wrong place (as it worked perfectly)
Old 29 February 2004, 11:03 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't comment on the take off point under the intercooler but they could easily have retained the warning light sender by using a tee-piece. No excuses, it all fits. A suitable tee piece costs all of four quid!
JohnD
Old 29 February 2004, 01:02 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I "think", from what I remember that the plug on cylinder 3 (under intercooler) should not be used for oil pressure as it is not in a main oil gallery. You can use it for oil temp. but pressure readings will be innacurate. The pressure should be taken from the original location using a bit of hose and a t-piece but it can be made to look not to shabby with a bit of thought.
Old 29 February 2004, 07:11 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the No.3 blanking plug position as mentioned above (under the intercooler). I'm not sure if the reading is in-accurate but IMHO if it reads 8bar when cold and 3 bar when hot (at idle) and these readings are repeatable then it'll do for me.

As long as the readings are calibrated in your own mind and you know what it normally reads that's all the matters.

IIRC Subaru use this position if you fitted the Genuine 3-Gauge pack, as there is an adaptor specifically for that hole.

Last edited by Scott.T; 29 February 2004 at 07:13 PM.