Notices

Thoughts on Using APEXI AVC-R ??

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 07:27 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thoughts on Using APEXI AVC-R ??

My car is not standard, but I want/need a slightly more subtle solution to some boost control issue I am having..
car spec: LINK ecu
550 INj
FMIC
etc etc..
and partridge on a pear tree...

Please- anyone using the unit post up your observations/experiences with the kit.. ts not cheap at all, and I dont want to be chasing a wild goose

thanks in advance..
brad
Old 27 February 2004, 06:10 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

What do you want to achieve? If it's, say, 1.5 bar as quickly as possibly & held for as long as possible, then just whack a Dawes on (not forgetting to open out the bleed hole, or part throttle will be a bit wild).

If, however, you want to run 1.6 bar through the mid-range slowly tailing down to 1.2 bar at the redline, then the AVC-R is the way to go.

It's about the best electronic boost controller on the market (that isn't part of an ECU ), and allows for different boost levels at different revs, as well as different duty cycles per gear.

In 90% of cases the Dawes will suffice though, it really is a good piece of kit....and cheap

Richard
Old 27 February 2004, 12:38 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

tailing off is quite possibly a very good idea on my car..
UK, with standard internals.. i dont want to kill the engine due to det, high boost, high revs..
Dawes sounds like a good temporary measure with AVCr a longer term goal..
thanks Richard.
Old 27 February 2004, 12:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What turbo do you have? Careful actuator setup can give a nice tapering boost profile with a Dawes. Mine runs 1.4 bar midrange and drops to 1.27 bar at the top. Just how I want it. Previous it ran 1.7 bar midrange, 1.55 bar at the top on 2.0, on another turbo 1.5 bar midrange, 1.2 bar at the top, on another 1.25 bar midrange, 1 bar at the top.
Old 27 February 2004, 06:32 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

MD305 (304 with p20 exhaust housing)

Currently set at 1.35 midrange, tailing off to 1.25 I think.. I would need to check the link tuning module..
Old 27 February 2004, 07:49 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dowser
What do you want to achieve? If it's, say, 1.5 bar as quickly as possibly & held for as long as possible, then just whack a Dawes on (not forgetting to open out the bleed hole, or part throttle will be a bit wild).

If, however, you want to run 1.6 bar through the mid-range slowly tailing down to 1.2 bar at the redline, then the AVC-R is the way to go.

It's about the best electronic boost controller on the market (that isn't part of an ECU ), and allows for different boost levels at different revs, as well as different duty cycles per gear.

In 90% of cases the Dawes will suffice though, it really is a good piece of kit....and cheap

Richard
Richard please can you explain more about the opening up of the bleed hole as i have this problem with my MY96WRX with dawes fitted.
Sorry to hijack thread
Cheers
Martyn
Old 27 February 2004, 10:22 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Martyn - You'll notice a small hole at the end of the Dawes that connects to the wastegate (hole is in the right-angle piece).

If this hole is around .3mm diameter, then it's stock as Dawes made it. It will give very large amounts of boost with very little throttle.

Depending on the turbo, opening this out to 1-1.5mm really helps part throttle response. I think I ran 1.2mm with the td04 on a classic, and now run 1.5 on either a td05 or vf23.

However, if you bought the Dawes from the UK distributor I thought he already opened this out. If so, check that it's not full of oil

Richard
Old 27 February 2004, 11:16 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Thank you Dowser.I will have a little look tomorrow.
I brought it 2nd hand with a power engineering ecu from tweeneirob perhaps i will try and contact him also.
Cheers for info

Martyn