Notices

STI 5 Intercooler Upgrade, Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2004, 10:59 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question STI 5 Intercooler Upgrade, Is it worth it?

Have found an Sti version 5 intercooler for a good price is the upgrade really worth it for a UK MY99 Turbo or should i hold out for a larger new age sti intercooler and try and try and shoehorn that under the bonnet?

Dan.
Old 21 February 2004, 11:55 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get slightly less of a pressure drop on the STi intercooler compared to a UK one IIRC, someone will correct me if i`ve got it **** about face or if i`m totally wrong. Anyway, its worth getting it coz its shiny! Also does it come with the alloy y-piece and necessary hoses? if not, a set of samco`s would be a good idea if you`re planning on upping the boost in future. The black plastic y-piece on the UK models can split.

As for new age STi intercoolers - to get an STi8 one to fit an MY99 you need to re-locate the clutch fluid reservoir or the brake fluid reservoir (or something like that) as its a much bigger intercooler, the same may apply to the STi7 intercooler.

Sorry my answer is a bit vague, but i thought i`d try and give you a bit of a rough idea, whilst waiting for someone a bit more technical to step in
Old 22 February 2004, 01:16 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

yes
Old 23 February 2004, 12:57 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had an sti5 i/c on a MY98, and TBH, it didn't make much difference, so I've taken it off and sold it on. Get a FMIC instead. Great performance, and it looks loads bette. As it happens, I have a Greddy one for sale. You interested?