Notices

the parabel of tuning etc

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2004, 01:52 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the parabel of tuning etc

Well after some reading etc,i would like some more power for my MY01 WRX which at mo is standard engine wise apart from a tsl centre cat and back box, basically cos i wanted it to sound better.
I am at this stage not sure how long i will keep this car but i dont do many miles in it about 3000 a year i guess, but mite have it for years yet so whatever tuning i get done i dont want it to alter life expectancy of engine.I thought about a full de-cat but not wanting to swa cats at MOT time thought maybe swap up-pipe and down pipe but put centre cat backon for good.but read one place that said downpipe cat should be left on for back pressure, another one that said always remove up pipe cat if u modify ur car as otherwise it could go and knacker turbo up,but does removing cats affect the ECU running as it monitors them and could this cause fueling problems etc and det? i know i dont want that or perhaps over fueling?
So many questions i know...
Then i saw scoobyclinic advertising an ecu remap for car for £650 plus vat that takes it to upto 285 bhp no problem-so would this be better then de-catting or does the previous worry of the up-pipe cat exploding into turbo still apply-more worries...
on well im posting-can some one explain what some of this acronyms stand for-i know what lol,imo.imho stand for but some others like iirc what does that mean?
Anyway as someone said a little knowledge is a dangerous thing so be wary of me lol,but anyway all replies gratefully received- i know i been asking a lot of questions but can someone with good technical knowledge help me out please

mark
Old 14 February 2004, 03:15 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

anyone??
Old 14 February 2004, 08:29 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Firstly, the ECU remap will only give you 285bhp if you have a full decat or similar. Most Ecutek remaps will get you of the order of 280bhp and 260lbft with an exhaust change, the scoobyclinic one will not be unique.
Secondly, the ECU warning light (and that's all it is - no effect on running at all) for catalyst operation can be "turned off" during the remap. I don't know the scoobyclinic maps, but most ECUTEK mappers will do this now.
Thirdly. Yes, it is wise to remove the up-pipe cat if you're turning up the boost, as there is a chance of it overheating and breaking up, spitting bits through the turbo. Removing it also frees up more power and helps the turbo spin up earlier.
Fourthly. Turbo-charged cars do not need back-pressure. They are better with none. Non turbo cars do benefit from backpressure, but that doesn't effect you here.
Fifthly. Centre cat only will probably get you through an MOT, but you'd need to get the car well warmed up by then. Your other option is to fit a sports cat centre section (from Power Engineering) or downpipe (from a large number of suppliers).
Old 14 February 2004, 09:35 PM
fuz
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/showt...3&page=1&pp=20