Notices

Oil over filled by 0.5 litre - Muppets

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2004, 01:40 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil over filled by 0.5 litre - Muppets

Just bought a MY00 Turbo, checked the oil level and it was up around the notch.

So I checked it cold (RTFM) and it's still way up there.

Took it to SGT to be checked out (not the Subaru dealer that sold it to me) and they did a drain and refil minus half a litre, gratis.

Well done SGT!
Old 04 February 2004, 03:38 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

You might wanna check your boost solenoid, as it may have "breathed in" some of that oil...
Old 04 February 2004, 04:29 PM
Manners
Scooby Regular

Angry

every service ive had over the last three years (2 different main dealer one independent) all filled to the notch!! i check before i leave now.
Old 04 February 2004, 05:03 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Isn't it reassuring to know that...

A. Main dealers may or may not change the oil "the correct way".

B. Main dealers use sh!te oil.

C. Main dealers over-fill the oil.

And we use them because... oh yeah, to get our service history stamp and keep our warranties valid. Mint.
Old 04 February 2004, 06:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Must admit filling the oil on these things is a pain...I overfilled it twice by accident myself

One minute it's between max and min...then add a little more, and it ends up way over the max mark I can see how easy it is for others to do.

IMO the dipstick is crap, somehow it scrapes oil on it it from the tube when it's withdrawn, making it difficult to see the true level, it also seems to have a higher reading on one side of the dipstic than the other. I have been known in the past to use a extra long cable tie instead! Plus the time it takes for the oil to drain from the head to the sump seems to take ages.

Odd thing too is sometimes I've only needed 4 litres, other times I used almost 5 litres!

These days, I just fill it with about 4 litres (as long as it's above MIN), and keep an extra 1/2 a litre with me. Use the car a little, then I recheck and top up after it's been stood for at least 5-10 mins. Seems to be the best filling system I've found so far.

The problem with the dealers I feel is that they rush it, when they come to fill it. Sure you can can glug the first 4 litres in no probs, but it's that last bit they need to take the time over (and wait for it to drain to the sump).
Old 04 February 2004, 10:59 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The_Judge
You might wanna check your boost solenoid, as it may have "breathed in" some of that oil...
This motor is new to me. Can you elaborate on where this solenoid is?

Is it easy to clean?
Old 05 February 2004, 08:42 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Click here for a picture of it. If you look just under the words "Driver strut tower", it's the small blue cylindrical device, with either 2 or 3 pipes going in/out of it.

You need to put the car into ECU test mode, my connecting the green connectors together under the steering column. It's the same procedure as here for the diagnostic read mode, only using the greens instead of the blacks. Whilst all the relays and solenoids are clicking, you can disconnect the pipes from the boost solenoid, and spray brake cleaner inside the solenoid and the pipes, then put all back together again. You may as well reset the ECU whilst you're at it. The instructions for that are also on the same site.
Old 05 February 2004, 11:25 AM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Click here for a picture of it. If you look just under the words "Driver strut tower", it's the small blue cylindrical device, with either 2 or 3 pipes going in/out of it.

You need to put the car into ECU test mode, my connecting the green connectors together under the steering column. It's the same procedure as here for the diagnostic read mode, only using the greens instead of the blacks. Whilst all the relays and solenoids are clicking, you can disconnect the pipes from the boost solenoid, and spray brake cleaner inside the solenoid and the pipes, then put all back together again. You may as well reset the ECU whilst you're at it. The instructions for that are also on the same site.
Thanks Judge. Can it be cleaned when everything is off? Why do I need to be in test mode?
Old 05 February 2004, 12:16 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

You could do I suppose, but it would be better if it was in test mode. If the internals are sticking, you stand a better chance of cleaning them whilst they're cycling through their "usual routine". The spray stands more of a chance of getting to all the bits it needs to.
Old 05 February 2004, 03:28 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Wink

You could do I suppose, but it would be better if it was in test mode. If the internals are sticking, you stand a better chance of cleaning them whilst they're cycling through their "usual routine". The spray stands more of a chance of getting to all the bits it needs to.
Thanks for helping with my moronic questions! I'm a scoob n00b.
Old 05 February 2004, 05:04 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

You're welcome