Notices

Fans coming on

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2004, 11:14 AM
halowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure where to post this or even if its an issue.

Recently had an oil change etc cars running sweet. Except when I come home through a housing estate, pull up and fans come on after about 30 secs. They stay on for ages.

This wouldnt be a problem but the water temp doesnt move, I have exposed vents and there is hardly any heat coming out of them. It certainly didnt do this pre-garage visit.

Leading me to the conclusion that its not that hot, add to the mystery that it only does it when I get home no-where else.

Any ideas - sticking thermostat ?

Looking to get an oil temp gauage this month save my paranoia as well if anyone can tell me where to get a sender and gauge for a decent price
Old 01 February 2004, 11:50 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Probably the water temperature sensor for the ECU has decided to give up or has a loose connection etc... Therefore, the ECU decides that it is safer to put the fans on!

What MY car? You could probably find someone with Deltadash to take a look if it's MY99+ If it's older than that then a select monitor would work. (Or someone else's laptop software )

I quite like Autometer gauges. They're not the best gauges in the world, but the quality/price ratio is good You just need to fiddle around getting the adaptor pieces. (Autometer use the American NPT thread size, not BSP ) Have a look on Scoobyshop for price ideas. Oh and LeMans Autoparts stock the adaptor you'll need.

[Edited by dnb - 2/1/2004 2:51:46 PM]
Old 01 February 2004, 12:32 PM
halowrx
Scooby Regular

Thats the problem with up here, cant just "pop" round to someone with the appropriate software - I have a laptop but dont suppose its as easy as that..

ho-hum guess its an expensive trip to Subaru then - BTW is the sensor expensive ?

As for gauges cheers for the options, im fussy and tried for ages to source 42 mm guages to replace the sti kit in mine (MY95) BTW but drew a blank and or too expensive..

Will have a look at what u recommended..

PS If the sensor has gone phut is it dangerous running bout ?
Old 01 February 2004, 02:57 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I have a laptop but dont suppose its as easy as that..
It's not that much more difficult. I take it you're up north, otherwise I'd offer you my laptop & bits... (I'm on the South coast)

I doubt the sensor has died completely, otherwise you'd have the check engine lamp on. So keep an eye on it, but otherwise, I think the worst that will happen will be a bit of over fuelling.
(The ECU will decide that the car is always cold, therefore always run with cold start enrichment.)

I think the temp sensors are about £25 or there abouts. I've not changed mine, but I have seen a couple of threads about it here over the years...

Of course, the whole thing could be down to car hypochondria. (I suffer quite badly at times, so don't worry!!)
Old 01 February 2004, 06:23 PM
halowrx
Scooby Regular

Im going to remember that term - how come the slightest thing turns into a nightmare..

For instance a wobble on the steering wheel started recently - after I got tyres changed, of course they need balanced properly (thanks National Tyres for getting a simple job oh-so right)

But the things that go through your head !!

Anyway, if its not much more complicated than that, is it worth looking into or is it one of these if you "can" get the software and adapter u can get hens teeth jobs ?

I keep thinking since I work in IT of building a system into the car to monitor things and play music, webcams on the bumper etc. But I suffer from good idea at the time syndrome.

Thanks for the offer, ur welcome to travel north of Inverness for a check

Think will leave it until it goes pop or get the garage to check it when its in for the MOT - im sure we will have a "discussion" about the de-cat anyway