Notices

Metallic "Buzz" from pedals on gearchanges

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 10:09 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I get a resonant buzz from the pedal area on gearchanges, which I think I have traced to the throttle pedal. You can move it slightly on the spindle from side to side and I'm fairly sure it's rattling slightly when I lift off on gearchanges.

I've not looked closely yet, but I presume there is a ?nylon bush that's worn/degraded.

Anyone had this problem? Any simple fixes?
(MY99 78k miles)
Old 01 February 2004, 03:05 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your throttle pedal bushes, but there is a mod regarding the brake pipes that run very close together the other side of the bulkhead. Open the bonnet and look see if they are rubbing together. Some models have the pipes coated with a rubber sleeve. You can always just bend them slightly to stop them rubbing together if yours are still just steel.

David API
Old 01 February 2004, 03:21 PM
GregK
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a similar noise on changing gear - turned out to be a small rubber "O" ring on the top of the clutch pedal assembly that had worked it's way off the spindle, so the spring assembly was vibrating away merrily and causing a real buzz. Pushed the o ring back on and have had no problems since.

Cheers

Greg

Edited to add MY99, 73k ish miles at the time!

[Edited by GregK - 2/1/2004 3:24:23 PM]
Old 01 February 2004, 07:06 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

David/Greg

Thanks for replies, I had a close look this afternoon and it looks like the bushes have just worn (nothing out of place), allowing the pedal some lateral free play - probably due to excessive use of the throttle....

Short of finding some new ones and taking the whole assembly apart, I can't think of a fix. I've tried a good glob of grease to try and kill the rattle, but I'm reckon it will be back....
Old 09 February 2004, 07:40 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

API David

You are a star!

Having convinced myself that the throttle pedal was to blame, I finally got round to having a proper look at the brake pipes which I had previously dismissed as the cause because they were securely held apart by plastic retainers/spacers.

It was these hard plastic spacers that were vibrating against the bulkhead, so I cut a strip off a mouse mat and eased the strip behind the 2 spacers and....Sorted!

Huge thanks m8, it had been driving me mad

Regards and thanks again

Jim