Notices

Engine Oil Info.

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 08:55 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Due to impending trackday season and my Sti8 going to get a slight roasting, I've changed my mind about oil changes. I initially was just going to leave it in, and dealer change it at 10k, but I've now seen sense, and will change it after the trackdays.

Q - Motul 300v 15/50 appears to be the oil of choice. Where are the cheapest suppliers? How much should I be expecting to pay? I'm based in Central Scotland.

Q - I take it sticking with OEM filters is still a good idea? How much Oil needed for a filter change? I can guess it will be in the region of 4.5litres with the Motul coming in 4litre containers.

One last one, having only lifted the bonnet ot fill with washer water and occasionally check oil, is the filter easily accessable?

Thanks, John
Old 01 February 2004, 01:11 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Unlike earlier models where the sump drain plug was accessable without removing the undertray (although it had to be removed to get to the filter) the STI8 requires tray removal to do the job.
Two bolts at the front, two at the back, two plastic clips at the back and two plastic push-in items each side. Easy enough job but make sure the plastic clips at the back are replaced correctly.
The latest filters are very small although you may have one of the older, larger ones at the moment. TIP - punch a hole in the bottom of the old filter and let it drain before you remove it. There's alot of oil held above the filter and you could get covered in oil if you just unscrew it! From my experience garages tend to hire King Kong to do up filters so you may have to use a removal tool, preferably one that attaches to the filter from below, with the new, small filters, a strap or chain type may prove a problem in terms of available space.
Don't forget to keep topping up the new filter with oil until it won't take any more before fitting.
JohnD
Old 01 February 2004, 01:45 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I've changed my mind about oil changes. I initially was just going to leave it in, and dealer change it at 10k,
That is far longer than ideal for engine oil. If I was running within those intervals I'd be changing at every 3,333 for normal road usage, and after every trackday.

Q - Motul 300v 15/50 appears to be the oil of choice.
IME Mobil 1 15/50 and Castrol RS are just as good, and much more widely available.

Q - I take it sticking with OEM filters is still a good idea?
Yes. As you suspect, around 4.5l. Filter easy to get at once the undertray is off, as John says, pre-filling the filter before you fit it is very desirable, as is cranking the engine over with the plug leads or crank position sensor removed to establish oil flow and pressure before firing.
Old 01 February 2004, 07:42 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Guys.
Old 02 February 2004, 06:33 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Try giving Alyn at ASPerformance a call on 01914103770. I ordered 5L of Motul 300v off him last week for approx £50 - only took a couple of days to arrive.
Old 03 February 2004, 12:21 AM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

£50 Canny tell I've been driving a diesel for a while
Old 03 February 2004, 08:58 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Try Camskill. £29.95 for 4L, and £7.95 for the extra 1L...