Notices

"piston slap" on 97 sti HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2004, 10:20 AM
speedyssti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

hope someome can help me! iv'e got a 97 p reg sti jap import with 38000 miles, on cold start up thers a knocking noice coming from the engine it goes when its warm after about 5 mins, its runs and drives perfect and doesent smoke, been told its mostprobable "piston slap" does anyone have any expreiance of this or any info that can help. spoke to extreme scoobys and thay sead souldent be to much to worry about at mo but need to at some point fit 4 new piston at a cost of £2200. can anyone help!!!
Old 29 January 2004, 11:16 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

When listening to the car, which was hot the car seemed to run fine. As mentioned would need to start the car from cold & then listen though based on the info you provided it went after 5 minutes.

With piston slap; once that sound does not go away then it may well be time to replace that piston. Again the price suggested would be "ball park" (though that included gaskets, spark plugs, cambelt, modified oil pump etc which could be removed from the price) for a complete job; though as mentioned believed at the time you were worrying needlessly.

Though leave the car with us overnight & we would soon know.....

If you were going to keep the car it may well be worth replacing all the pistons as wear & tear may well be similar on all of them & replacing 1 now would be false economy. Though again a decision could be made on this once the engine was stripped & the pistons could be measured & seen.

Alternatively for an immediate quick fix to save costs & if you were considering selling the car, would be to replace the offending piston & only that piston.....again that can be quoted for based on piston type in the car.

Again the best advice I can give is once the engine is warm if the slap still exists then thats is a good indication to carry out necessary work.

[Edited by XtremeScoobies - 1/29/2004 11:19:57 AM]
Old 29 January 2004, 11:23 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Click on SEARCH

Type "piston slap"

Change Dates ie 01/10/03 to 31/01/04

I found about 10 tpics straight off....change the dates to widen the search
Old 29 January 2004, 12:36 PM
dr jim
Scooby Regular

i had piston slap on my 97 uk turbo. scooby sport fitted a new modified no4 piston and has been perfect ever since the total price was just over 500.00. What i would like to add is that the damage on the old piston was quite bad with heavy marks on one side of the skirt which in my book is not good. So my advice to you would get it done before u need a new block or rebore if its not that bad already. (the only way your going to find out how bad the cylinder is to strip it. hope this helps