Notices

central locking help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2004, 05:59 PM
rigger420
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help
94 uk wagon.. ive had car parked up 1 month with flat batt, gone into it a couple of times via drivers door & key. ive just put new battery on it but central locking only opperates drivers door ,also car has autowatch 161 alarm with remote lock but still only unlocks drivers door, ive never had a problem before so im a bit lost.
ANY IDEAS???
Old 24 January 2004, 06:27 PM
mag6/4
Scooby Regular

Mines done the same thing so its not just my car
Old 25 January 2004, 10:37 AM
rigger420
Scooby Newbie

THANKS mag6/4 that helps a lot..
Old 25 January 2004, 11:03 AM
Dazapc
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Is the boot lockin/unlockin when you use your alarm fob to activate C/L? If no id check to see if C/L fuse has blown...?

Let me know.....

Daza..
Wagons Still Rule!

Old 25 January 2004, 08:01 PM
rigger420
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Dazapc/ no only drivers door works, but if i take the fuse out and put it back in you can hear more motors working and everything unlocks sometimes.
Old 25 January 2004, 08:26 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

A certain amount of guesswork here Rigger, but bear with me as I'm usually fairly close to the money...

When they leave the factory in Japan, Imprezas don't normally have a central locking motor in the driver's door, as while they come with "normal" key operated central locking, they don't have remote locking or an alarm as standard.

When you lock and unlock the driver's door (with the key), a switch connected to the lock sends a signal to the central locking timer, which locks/unlocks the other doors as necessary. With me so far?

When UK Imprezas arrive in this country, an extra C-locking motor is added to the driver's door which is driven directly by the alarm system's remote locking function. This probably explains why the driver's door continues to lock/unlock as normal in your cars.

If you take the door cap and moisture barrier off, and look at the lock mechanism in the driver's door, it should have a motor (which works the lock), along with the switch (which then locks/unlocks the other doors).

It sounds to me like one of two things has happened:

1) Either the switch is dirty or

2) The little mechanical linkage that connects the switch to the lock itself is broken or worn.

Given the way your cars are behaving (sometimes the c-locking works, sometime it doesn't, I'd suspect the latter.

You may be able to sort this out yourself, but seeing as you've presumably got a Cat 1 alarm in there, it may be better to take the car along to a Subaru dealer or auto security place and have them look at it.
Old 25 January 2004, 08:40 PM
rigger420
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

thanks Greasemonkey will have a look tmorrow.
when you look inside the door where is the motor in relation to the door handle???
Old 26 January 2004, 03:25 PM
rigger420
Scooby Newbie

Question

Greasemonkey--- ive had alook around but cant see anything wrong except i can hear door lock timer clicking or shorting, so i took it off and found it 1/3 full with water, dried it out but circuit board looks at bit ropey. installed it back in car but no joy clicks like a goodun but no locking
could this be culprit ???
Old 26 January 2004, 05:15 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

In answer to your first question, the lock motor (and switch for the other doors) isn't next to the door handle, it's part of the lock mechanism. The door handles and lock lever then connect to it via a couple of rods and levers. If you pull the vapour shield back and look into the rear of the door, you should just about be able to see it, although the only way to get a proper look is to remove the screws holding the lock assembly in place and manoeuvre it out of the door.

When you say the locking timer is full of water, where abouts did you find it? On the later cars it should be underneath the dashboard - somewhere where water shouldn't be able to get to it.

If it's contained within the doors on the earlier cars, and if it's full of H20, then yes, this would at this stage seem the likeliest culprit for your problem.
Old 26 January 2004, 07:59 PM
rigger420
Scooby Newbie

Greasemonkey--the door timer was bolted in the passenger footwell on the lefthand side under glove box, i think the water was probley just condensation on inside of screen while stood 1 month. never had wet carpets or trim.
if this is shot would it give me these symptoms.

its begining to p**s me off.
Old 28 January 2004, 03:57 PM
rigger420
Scooby Newbie

Cool

ALL SORTED. GOT ON TO THOSE BRILL PEOPLE AT GRADE A WHO SENT ME A DOOR LOCK TIMER WITHIN 24HRS AND NOW EVERYTHING IS HUNKY DOREY

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR INPUT...