Notices

K&N Filter vs. Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2004, 05:55 PM
WalterEgo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am thinking of buying a K&N filter for my UK MY03 WRX PPP (pick it up a week on wednesday, ) and was wondering if I will see much, if any, performance increase ?
Will it create any potential problems with the MAF (or any other?) sensor ?
Also, given that it has 2 years warranty remaining, what is the situation when it comes to servicing. Will the dealer ignore it with a tip and a wink, or will I have to replace it prior to any service or warranty work and pay for a new standard one fitting, only to put the K&N back after (which would be silly if it isn't really worth it performance wise) ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 20 January 2004, 05:59 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you talking about a panel or induction kit?
I say ask you dealer first before you do anything. Performance gains are tiny but are there somewhere.
I personally have an induction K&N and i'm more than happy with it
Old 20 January 2004, 07:28 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I am thinking of buying a K&N filter for my UK MY03 WRX PPP (pick it up a week on wednesday, )
Not even got the car and you're already determined to muck about with it???

and was wondering if I will see much, if any, performance increase ?
Not much. If you're dead keen to change it, you'd be better off waiting until the car's run in and you know how it feels with the standard filter. At least then you'll be more able to discern any differences in performance.

Will it create any potential problems with the MAF (or any other?) sensor ?
If you're talking about a panel filter, no. If you're talking about a cone, maybe.

Also, given that it has 2 years warranty remaining, what is the situation when it comes to servicing. Will the dealer ignore it with a tip and a wink, or will I have to replace it prior to any service or warranty work and pay for a new standard one fitting,
You're implying you'd lie/omit to mention the fitting of a non-standard part?

only to put the K&N back after (which would be silly if it isn't really worth it performance wise) ?
Tricky situation. K&N say they'll help you fight any manufacturer who declines a warranty claim on the basis that one of their panel filters has been fitted.

If I was in your shoes I'd definitely wait for the time being, and, if you're determined to change this part, get an STi one at some point in the future. At least with one of those there's virtually zero room for Subaru to wriggle out of any warranty problems.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 1/20/2004 7:29:40 PM]
Old 20 January 2004, 09:26 PM
WalterEgo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the advice. Points taken, I think I'll wait a while and look into an STi one. By the way, it isn't new. Jan 03 with 20k.