Notices

ADVICE NEEDED TRACK TYRES PADS

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2004, 10:54 PM
cashy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all

Im after some advice, got a few track days coming up and wante dto know what other scooby owners use on track for tyres and pads.

Ive been advised to go for the ebc red stuff carbon pads.

I used to use yoko a032r on my last track car, anyone use these?

Im looking for something cheap so i dont wreck my road tyres, i have a spare set of 16 inch rims which i will be using.

Old 20 January 2004, 01:47 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got some decent oil in there? Castrol 10-60 or Mobil Motorsport 15-50 are good and easy to get. Suggest you upgrade your discs first, as these are the weakest point in Impreza stopping. You will soon warp or crack them. I did two sets before learning the lesson and getting APs (highly recommended). I assume you have 4-pot front calipers, which are good when combined with a good disc and pad. Try Godspeed two-piece discs to save cash and Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear. I don't think those tyres are available in Scoob sizes (I might be out of date there) but you want a set of knackered old road tyres. New rubber rolls and squirms, gets red-hot and will get utterly shagged. The corners are the tyre killers, more than on the brakes.

Forgive me if you know this, but always do a slowing down lap without touching the brakes, don't touch the pedal when the car is stationary or use the handbrake. Park up on a flat spot until the turbo has cooled (2-3 mins) the switch off leaving the car in gear. Check the pads after every session, front and rear - at some tracks (eg Dono) they wear very quickly, and they wear more quickly when the compound is low. Best take a spare set as you'll need them one day and driving home on the handbrake isn't much fun Done that,too.

When you're home, check the pads carefully (including the inside ones you can't see ) and bleed them well.

Then change the oil.

Good luck,

Richard.

[Edited by Hoppy - 1/20/2004 1:48:40 AM]