Notices

STi i/c into a Uk spec car...?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2004, 10:25 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I currently have a rather bent finned uk MY99 intercooler sat atop my engine.
I want to swap it for the STi 5/6 silver i/c (again top mount).
Am correct in thinking that its just a case of a straight swap of intercooler and Y piece?
Are there any benefits to the cars breathing to be had by doing this?
what are the potential immediate and future benefits of fitting said item to my car?

thanks in advance.

Andy.....
Old 13 January 2004, 10:41 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Arrow

For you to swap your UK intercooler for an STI one is easy.

Probably no more than 20 mins max.

Make sure when you buy the STI intercooler it comes with the STI intercooler to Turbo hose and the Alloy Y-Piece.

Your car will breathe better with the STI intercooler as the core is slightly more efficient, but its the Alloy Y-Piece and Turbo hose which are much better on the STI models which make the biggest difference over the Rubber UK hoses.

Keigo is selling an STI5 intercooler here: STI 5 Intercooler
Old 13 January 2004, 10:48 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

cheers for the reply.
seems the way forward then.
I knew about Keigo`s thread
Old 13 January 2004, 05:54 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Only thing to add Peanuts, is that swapping to the STi intercooler gives a slightly colder, denser intake charge, which leans the mixture slightly.

If you have a standard ECU this is unlikely to be an issue as the AE801 (if that's what you have) runs very rich to start with that the subtle changes caused by the I/C swap won't push things too far the other way.

If you have a TeK of any description, or if you're the perfectionist type, fit a Dawes AFR meter prior to swapping the I/C, make a good mental note of the lambda voltage on WOT, and then repeat the test after you've put the better intercooler in, just to make sure it's still in the green.
Old 13 January 2004, 09:15 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

GreaseMonkey,
cheers for the tips, I am running a std 801 ecu at the moment so fingers crossed. I also have dawes afr meter (and knock and boost) so I'll monitor it closley to check its still lights up on WOT.
I have used a Dawes MBC to raise the boost to 1.1 bar holding 1.0 so was hoping that with the new intercooler (coupled with fuel pump, regulator and cut defencer) I would be in a better position to start being cheeky (but sensible ) with the boost, thereby earning more ponies into the bargain, sound reasonable?
the other thing I need to do ASAFP is get Samco silicone hoses, am I correct in assuming that I would need 99UK coolent hose kit and STi 5/6 turbo kit?
I think the only difference is due to the Y piece.
Andy

final point, what colour hoses to go with DGM 99? I was thinking maybe red to match my vehicle wiring products earthing kit (although blue is the obvious choice and by far the most common)