Notices

Uneven pad wear.

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2004, 10:21 PM
SRP1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help? MY 00, new ish front discs, with ebc green stuff pads. Covered 6k with these pads and the drivers side pair are worn out. Nearside pads are barely half worn. I've checked pistons, nothing sticking there, everything seems fine. Just wondered if anyone else has suffered this problem? I've heard of brake stabiliser bars, are these for the bulkhead? Has this something to do with problem? Car only gets used at weekend, therefore driven enthusiasticly.
Also, what are the best pads to use with standard discs? I've never really thought the brakes were that good given the size of the disc and caliper.
Any help much appreciated.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:37 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I don't know if the new, reformulated ones are any better, but EBC Greens used to be absolutely awful.

If you want to try a decent compound, you could do a lot worse than Pagid's RS4-2.1, Ferodo DS2500 or Mintex M1155.

As for the uneven wear, if you're certain nothing's sticking, have you made certain there's no air in the nearside brakeline, reducing the caliper's efficiency? If you stamp on the brake pedal, which wheel does the ABS get to work on first?

Other thing to check would be that the wheel bearings aren't worn (although you shouldn't have too many problems there on an MY00 car that isn't used a hell of a lot).

Could simply be that you got the pads a little hotter than they like to be to the extent that the compound on the offside started to granulate and break up.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:46 PM
SRP1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the pad info. Does seem odd, forgot to mention, under hard braking the car doesnt pull to either side as you'd expect with such uneven wear. Agree, ebc pads are pretty usless.
Next question!!!!!
What brake fluid is best then?
Old 09 January 2004, 09:29 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Agree with the Grease man,bleed all the brakes and see how it goes,it is common for the inner pad to wear more than the outer like a wedge of cheese but not for both pads on 1 side to be worn more then the opposing side.

No matter how bad the old version of EBC pads you shouldnt have this problem with wear, it will be a caliper/piston issue.

As for brake fluid its up to you as Dot5.1 has a higher boiling point and lasts much longer in between changes as it absorbs less water but as long as you change it say every 2 years (Max) then DOT 3-4 will be fine.
The key to a better feel with these brakes is good front pads (Ferodo DS2500) is my choice with braided hoses and quality brake bleeding.

Zippy

Zippy

[Edited by ZIPPY - 1/9/2004 9:32:34 AM]