Notices

What have I done ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2003, 04:18 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Just spent the afternoon working on the car in the freezing cold. I have sent out a search party for my *********, but apparently they have receded SO far, it could take a while !!!

Anyhoo, just fitted a Magnex de-cat centre and a new standard backbox. I have also replaced the OS cam cover gasket and the PAS reservoir was leaking so I've sorted that too.

However, the car wont now tick over ! So I took it for a run, and even warm it wont tick over, plus it feels like the boost is hesitating.

I'm sure it's to do with the gasket I've replaced, and I suspect one of two things as a result of doing this job.

1) Spark plug - I've had both leads off to replace the rocker cover gasket, so could be a plug ?

2) The OS is where the airbox\pipes etc are, so I may have left off a pipe\sensor or something ?

Anyone who's done this will know what a pain in the *** it is, I'm not looking forward to taking it all to bits again - so I thought I'd get the experts opinion before I start all over again !!!

Any ideas why it now wont tick over ?

Cheers

Matt

Old 01 January 2004, 11:57 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Still no joy on the above, but I have tried resetting the ECU.

The engine check light blinks regularly every ½ second, so there's nothing stored as an error. Does this mean that it's NOT the MAF ? Just worried I've upset the MAF when taking all the airbox area out, and I'd like to rule the MAF out !

Sometimes it will start to idle, but then cut out - I think there is a 'tick' sound from the engine just as it cuts out.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Matt
Old 01 January 2004, 01:06 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly more basic. Start looking for a pipe that has been disturbed. Less likely is a wire or connector block.
Old 01 January 2004, 02:30 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

I know it may sound stupid... But

Are you sure you have located the leads on the plugs properly?? the end of the lead that clips onto the end of the plug slots nicely down the side of the plug as well.
It may feel like the lead pushed home, you can check by removing the lead slightly and feeling for a click if the lead was on the end of the plug correctly.

Rob

P.s. it does however sound more like an airleak/MAF prob... The MAF connector is on properly?
Old 01 January 2004, 04:22 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Thanks for your replies guys, it's appreciated.

Basically spent an hour or so taking off all the hoses, checking they're clear and putting them back on.

Unbelievably all is now fine, oh except I'm now grumpy, cold, wet and hungry Just glad I hadn't bu66ered up the MAF !

Cheers

Matt

Old 01 January 2004, 07:25 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Glad you got it sorted.

Why not get yourself along to the local meet and find out all the other pitfalls you are left to encounter

See: West Sussex meet in the southern section.
We're meeting at Pease pottage this Sunday

Iain.
Old 02 January 2004, 09:08 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dyney, I'll go have a look !

Matt