Notices

Power Steering Help please

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2003, 03:32 PM
King RA
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other week whilst my car was being serviced they replaced my PAS O ring because it was leaking, I've had no problems with it up until now and also no problems since the service until now.

Today going round a bend I lost power steering all of a sudden and it was off for the remainder of my journey. When I got home I spoke to the garage (subaru4you) and they said to try turning the wheel lock to lock with high revs because it might be trapped air. When I tried to do this (wasn't easy I tell you!!) a load of PAS fluid from the lid of the resevoir (the lid was on) leaked out and steering was still heavy.

Went inside and tried it again 20mins later, this time I made sure the lid was as tight as possible. Got in, started her up and instantly the PAS was working again, but about 3 or 4 full turns each way later it started playing up again, somethies working, sometimes not. I gave up again with it not working, however only a tiny amount of fluid tried to leak out on this occasion.

Does it sound like air is trapped or is my motor on the way out. Any more advice on how to get rid of trapped air is greatly appreciated, or any other suggestions. Do you think I should carry on doing what I am doing and it will get better ???

Thx,

King RA

[Edited by King RA - 12/31/2003 3:33:55 PM]
Old 31 December 2003, 03:34 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Was the belt re-tensioned correctly?
Old 31 December 2003, 04:35 PM
nickwrx
Scooby Regular

Definitly sounds like trapped air try putting the front of the car on axle stands with both wheels in the air and steer full lock to lock with the engine off (i've heard this can take 10 mins somtimes) then start her up and do the same again .
Leave the lid off and you should see the air coming up in the res tank .

nick.
Old 31 December 2003, 05:21 PM
King RA
BANNED

Belt looks fine.....