Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2003, 10:24 AM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking to:

Install Dump Valves
Turbo Timer
Centre Dash Gauges( Turbo ressure, Oil and Water Temp)

I was looking at going to Power Engineering and get the HKS versions setup. Can anyone enlighten as to what is the best out there, with pics if poss and the spec.

ACEMAN
Old 20 December 2003, 12:05 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Urgent? Money burning a hole in your pocket or the wife eyeing up some furniture?
Old 20 December 2003, 12:18 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

LOL....Hey thats funny....fortunately no wife...Unfortunately no money burnin a hole in me pocket either :-( LOL

but hey a SCOOB is a SCOOB and that is PEDIGREE alone... :-)

Old 20 December 2003, 02:22 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The standard blow off valve will work quite satisfactorily well beyond the standard power output so there is no need to change it as a matter of urgency or necessity until you have a reasonable amount of power.
The turbo timer will not add any power and if you use your car intelligently you don`t need one.
It is important to monitor your engine parameters and I would suggest you add guages to show boost pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature and induction temperature in that order. Any guages with a maximum recall like SPA are particularly useful although there are loads with that facility now and dual guages save a lot of space and some expense, eg. oil pressure and oil temperature twinned, boost pressure and induction temperature twinned.
Hope this helps to save you some money.
Old 20 December 2003, 02:27 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

Harvey,

All the info u gave was TOPS. I would like to make these relatively minor mods coz I DO want 2 enjoy what the car can do and also make it a project car 4 the future. To be honest None of this is URGENT. Just to attain all the info from ALL the enthusiasts on SNET .

I want the Dump Valve as a cosmetic coz of the sound and I've heard that they can be altered to give Small increase in power (but thats not what im after in the first instance - at the mo)

How about which AIR FILTER to go for which will give me more Bhp?

ACEMAN...
Old 20 December 2003, 02:34 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

exhaust will make the biggest difference to power sound and wallet
Old 20 December 2003, 02:37 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

I have a prodrive fitted exhaust and I love it. I was going to change it for a HKS or an alternative when I bought the car...Only been 2 weeks!! BUT been studyin the car for many a month .

just bought a domain name which I will honour in Traditional Scooby fashion Watch this space!!!

Any ideas as to which alternative exhausts would give max attention to detail(Looks) and power?
Old 20 December 2003, 08:04 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I'm not sure how a dump valve could add power but some of the vent to atmosphere are good for frightening old grannies at the bus stop. If you are serious about tuning your car you might be better off getting a recirculating BOV.
Exhaust. Well you need a complete system in 3" including down pipe. It should be as straight and unrestrictive as possible. Originally I had a Revolution exhaust and down pipe. This is very good value in terms of bhp/£. Probably the most notable mod for £500 fitted or less that I can remember. Once I was over 400bhp I replaced the down pipe for a Hayward and Scott but I cannot say if it made any difference. The exhaust is coming off the STi and going on the WRX and I am going to do a back to back test with a Roger Clark Motorsport down pipe and Scooby Mania centre and rear section. There is a choice of tips on the back box, either a bit of chrome pipe like a drain pipe or rolled. Regards the looks of an exhaust not many people look under the car but if you want performance it needs to be unrestricted. From memory to help you the Revolution system is around £500 fitted, the RCMS down pipe around £210, the Scooby Mania centre section and rear box £75 and £230 respectively, but as I said I havn`t tried them yet but it will form a straight system.
As regards air filter in a light state of tune use a K+N Panel until you are ready to progress to a cone or similar but do not make that move until you are prepared to make a cold air box and some means of checking your air fuel ratio.
Fitting an unrestricted exhaust will result in a small increase in boost pressure.
PS: Jonny Gav can put you in touch with somebody selling a flame kit if you would rather do that type of modifying ?

[Edited by harvey - 12/20/2003 8:07:55 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 12:10 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

Harvey....

r u the holy grail when it comes to Scoobs? Appreciated very much....

Old 21 December 2003, 11:13 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I think the holy grail has something to do with John Clees or a guy known as J.C. who has a bithday about now.

I can tell you what has worked pretty well for me and save you money and heart ache by steering you away from what does not work.
There is a lot of crap talked on here sometimes and while everybody is entitled to their own opinion it gauls me when somebody loosely recommends something when in reality the recommendation cannot be substantiated.
Old 22 December 2003, 10:01 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I think it's fair to say he knows a thing or two...! Click me