Notices

fitting new pads?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2003, 06:57 PM
jimmymc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it an easy job to fit new pads to my01? also how much for standard front pads?
cheers
jimmymc
Old 14 December 2003, 08:06 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Never done an MY01, but I've done an MY00, most vehicles are more or less the same so I cant believe they're gonna be very different.

On the MY00;
  • Remove the anti rattle spring
  • Remove the spring that holds the 2 locating pins in
  • Remove the 2 locating pins
  • Gently ease the old pads out and push back the pistons
  • Clean up the whole brake caliper using brake cleaner
  • Reassembly's the reverse of the above, ensuring to take any anti-squeel shims of the old pads and fit them to the new. Make sure that there is copper grease smeered on the back of the pads, this prevents squeeling later on.

It really is very very easy, it actually takes longer to get the car jacked up and the wheel removed than it does to change the pad.

Oh and one final note, when you refit the pads, make sure that they are a loose fit, if you find them really tight at the sides then rectify the situation now as it will cause you problems later on.
Old 14 December 2003, 08:11 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Just to add that ScoobyNET really should get it's FAQ sorted (that they've been threatening to do for years), cos this is just the sorta question that should belong in there along with many others.

IMHO, they should create a new forum marked FAQ, and then allow some of the more technically minded individuals on to start posting suggestions on there as to what should appear in this FAQ, along with suggestions for content. There is more than enough technical know how on this BBS to build a pretty comprehensive list.
Old 14 December 2003, 08:11 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Make sure you pump the brakes before driving anywhere. Or you might end up sh*ting yourself like ive done a number of times.

Tony
Old 14 December 2003, 09:03 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

It really is very easy. I was worried about trying it but after the first try I could not beleive how easy it was. Only hard bit was how to remove excess brake fluid from filler bottle under bonnet. I used a seringe from local chemist, simple.

I have bought 2 sets of pads - one set 35 quid, the other 135 quid. One was a cheap set from local autoparts, the other Forodo DS2500! The Forodo's have a good reputation on here.