Notices

Dead scoob - help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2003, 02:07 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Horror of horrors, yesterday afternoon the unthinkable happened and after 2 years of not missing a beat my beloved motor has decided to go on strike.

Was in the middle of fitting my new backbox after driving it down to my mum's garage to do the job, when the unmentionable happened.

Half way through cutting & welding the backbox (off the car) I started up the car and it sounded rough, ran for about 10 seconds or so, stalled, and now refuses to start.
I'm completely certain the exhaust has nothing to do with the problem as it was the same on the car when it conked as it was before.

It turns over normally but will not fire in the slightest. There's plenty of fuel in it and no fuses appear to be blown so I'm really not sure what can have packed in to make it do this.

If anyone has any cunning ideas of likely causes I'd be incredibly grateful as having just spent loads of money on various things for the damn car, and getting some bodywork done etc I'm cleaned out, meaning a hideously expensive trip to a garage is not really an option right now.

I'm really p1ssed of about it as I was meant to be going karting today but instead I'll be scouring the web for possible causes and leaning over my engine bay getting backache. What an utter bummer.
Old 14 December 2003, 03:03 PM
halowrx
Scooby Regular

The lamba sensor hasnt come off for any reason while ur working on the exhaust has it ?

Seems odd it was fine then nothing, were u doing any other mods at the same time ?
Old 14 December 2003, 04:18 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

No, it no longer has a sensor on the exhaust as the downpipe & centrepipe are decat afterburner ones. They've been on at least a couple of months and it's been fine with them.

There's nothing really that I could have knocked or dislodged as far as I can see.

It sounded really rough when I started it and it conked out but I can't see how anything major could have just suddenly happened as it wasn't like I was driving it giving it stick, just literally started it up inside the garage.
It had been misfirng when cold for the last few weeks but I reset the ecu a few days ago which seemed to solve that.

I'm worried but more just plain p1ssed off because I can't think of likely causes and I've just spent a load of cash on the car recently to get it spot on.
Plus it means I'm relegated to transporting myself on a 125 until I can sort it.

Anyone know exactly where in the engine bay the dizzy is hidden, or what would be the best way of checking that fuel is pumping through properly as I think they'd be good places to start - the old is there fuel & is it sparking routine?
Old 14 December 2003, 04:25 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

I can see you say that you welded, you did disconnect the batteri before you welded on the car right??

Skassa
Old 14 December 2003, 04:40 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I was thinking along the same lines, the surge from the welder may have damaged something???
Old 14 December 2003, 04:56 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

No, nothing like that as I did the welding with the exhaust off the car. No way I was going to do any welding in the vicinity of the fuel tank!
Old 14 December 2003, 05:52 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
have you checked that you have any fuel at the engine side!!
almost guarantee your fuel pump has packed in.....hapened with a car in the w/shop the other week and had no relation to the job being done...
speak to a few people, it is a known occurrence!!
alyn - asperformance.com

[Edited by stockcar - 12/14/2003 5:53:41 PM]
Old 14 December 2003, 06:09 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

I haven't done, but only because I'm not sure where in the engine bay the fuel lines/filter are, and what's the best method to check. Do I just pull a line off the filter then turn the ignition & see if fuel sprays out (preferably into something!) or is there more to it than that?

Fuel pump has been pointed at on another forum I asked on, and my mate suggested it too, as he stuck his face up the tailpipe when I cranked it over and said he couldn't smell any fuel in the exhaust.

I'll be going down to the car tomorrow after work with my trusty multimeter so here's hoping it is just something like this!

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. I appreciate it!
Old 14 December 2003, 06:15 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

The fuel pump on a scoob is in the fuel tank
Old 14 December 2003, 06:27 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm sorry to hear your woes, it's a heart wrenching time that I'm sure many of us have been in at one time or another

Try not to think the worst, unless you've done something silly to it there is no reason for it to be totally fubar'd. Good luck for tomorrow.

I surely will sing a song for you before I sleep
Old 14 December 2003, 06:38 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Cheers people!

Presumably if the pump is fudged then something like the pump at the bottom of this page will be what I need?http://www.powerstation.org.uk/News_Page.html
Old 14 December 2003, 06:41 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Yes M8