Notices

opinions on a PE remap please

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2003, 06:22 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about getting in on the group buy for this remap but want to know if i'm doing the right thing, so any comments from peoples experiences (good or bad) who have had this done would be great to help me make up my mind.
also has anybody found that by doing this you've had things go wrong with your car that you think are related to the remap putting extra stress on the car?
i've got a ukMY99 and don't want to wring every last bhp out of it just for it to go bang,so can any one recommend the max bhp/torque i should go to to keep things reasonably safe?
cheers for your time
Old 10 December 2003, 06:28 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Power Engineering / Ecutek were very good when I owned a classic Scooby. However another Impreza I had (99MY) went bang on its own, so there is always a risk - I wouldn't go over 250bhp to be honest without buying other bits.

I would also seriously think about having a genuine full custom remap against your particular car (Tek3), and get them to tune it very conservatively to your car. I say this because I've since left Subarus but had my current car fully remapped which involved a very thorough 4 hours and 25 rolling road runs to get it spot on.

Old 10 December 2003, 06:33 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

On standard internals for a UK car, 280bhp is probably the safest.
Expect 30bhp & 30lbft increase if you have a full decat & air filter already fitted.
At least that is what I gained when I got a Ecutek remap, but that was a TEK3 from Scooby sport not a Tek 2.

for the same money, ie: £650 you could get a custom map suited for your car, do a search for TEK3 and see what others have posted.
Hope that helps
Old 10 December 2003, 06:47 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replies guys, but i thought the remap in question was a custom map, specific to my car? i'll have to check but if memory serves me right(pretty unlikely) i thought i read that the price will include an initail run to check the car out then remapped on the rollers to my specifc mods on the car? not too sure,i'll have another look.
Old 10 December 2003, 07:50 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

The PE TEK 2 is a custom map, here's a quote from NM from the group buy thread:

'As far as PE understand there is no such thing as a TEK3. TEK3 was invented by the Ozzys and adopted by some of the programmers over here

From what I think you have been told the TEK1/2/3 is

Tek1, a general download onto your ECU like a PPP ECU.

Tek2, a general download of existing programs that cater for all your mods such as a decat, FIMC, induction kit

Tek3, is a remap to you actual car and its mods.

PE said that their TEK2 / Phase2 is identical to what you understand that a Tek 3 is. They download the closest matching software to your car then alter the program if it requires some more fettling.

This is what I have been told so I could be wrong!!!!

If you are not sure give PE a bell as EcuTek is their sister company and is located right next door to them.'

[Edited by DreXeL - 12/10/2003 7:51:28 PM]
Old 10 December 2003, 08:04 PM
TORBOTITS
Scooby Newbie

Tec2,s great. I got mine done at PE. I've got a my2000 uk turbo with full de-cat and replacment panel filter now @ 272bhp after tec2 was about 230bhp before.I have no other mods so i guess thats a good gain.
Old 10 December 2003, 08:09 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Yep I said that

From talking to PE they download the closest map to your mods then check on the rollers.

Lets say you ask for a map using UK UL but you were after as much torque as you could get. They would download the closest safest program to save them starting from scratch (saving time and money) then alter the map to suit your requirements. Run on the rollers to check the reprogramming was successful if more fettling required then paramters are tweaked to suit your requests and checked again.

I have a UK MY98 with lots of goodies added to get the very best out of the upgrade such as Uprated fuel pump and regulator, VF24 turbo, 440cc injectors, full decat, induction kit and intercooler mods. Not the sort of map you would download a general map to and hope for the best!!!!

Also they offer a remap if you decide to add other upgrades at a later date.

Neal
Old 10 December 2003, 08:20 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Yep, mine was mapped there, and can't complain. FWIW, I believe their standard ecutek for the bugeye is slightly lower boost than a scoobysport map (1.18 vs 1.25 bar IIRC), i.e. probably a very few bhp down, but a fraction safer, all very marginal.

Only very slight proviso: I've heard the guy who used to do the mapping of Scoobs - Merv - has left PE, although I don't know how true it is. Not a problem, as Chris at PE certainly knows what he's doing - it's just that Merv was very highly rated and experienced, so it's a shame if he has left.
Old 10 December 2003, 09:37 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

As mentioned above, if Safety / mods to your specific requirement is the top priority, then the longer they spend setting the car up, the better.

I can personally compare the Tek2 remap done by PE against the process involved for a Jabbasport remap on my 1.8T VAG engine.

The former was rolling roaded during the set-up about 4 times and took about 1.5 hours to do. I suspect that with a Tek3 they would take more time to tailor the settings to your car.

The Jabbasport custom remap took 3.5 hours and 20+ rolling road runs. I wanted a conservative, safe remap with lots of low and mid-range torque rather than top end power. I got it in spades.
Old 10 December 2003, 09:55 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R
merv has left PE they told me so today when they said they could not do what i was after see my thread
Old 11 December 2003, 05:39 PM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Merv ha sbeen at PE for years! Wheres he left to go to?
Old 12 December 2003, 01:39 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

come on guys! must be more than 3 or 4 people out there who have had a PE remap done and want to talk about it??
if you've got something nasty to say about you experience just mail me if you don't want it on the board, i want to get as much feedback about this mod before i sink my cash into it.

cheers

[Edited by hoskib - 12/12/2003 1:39:59 PM]
Old 12 December 2003, 05:49 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

just 3 people it is then
no techies got an opinion?
Old 12 December 2003, 06:19 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

What specifically do you need to know?
All they do is upload a map to your ECU, drive it round the block with a laptop connected to monitor that everything is working ok and charge you £650 + VAT.
Personally I'd go with Pat at Scoobysport or Bob Rawle (but the waiting list is 3-4 months with Bob) they normally spend 3 hrs at least checking the car over and use det cans etc.
Ask a chap called Edcase about PE & remaps, he had a bad experience initially but things got sorted in the end.

Old 12 December 2003, 06:35 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Not the sort of thread the folks who have just paid a deposit (in the group buy) for a custom ecutek re-map want to seehope there isn't much to go wrong as i will be doing a 500mile round trip to P/E in the new year and don't want to be going back.

James.

[Edited by scoobyfella - 12/12/2003 6:36:43 PM]
Old 12 December 2003, 07:50 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Scoobyfella,
Don't worry mate, PE are very good and if things do go wrong (which I doubt) the Ecutek office is practically in the same building and the developers may be on hand to have a look.
I think in Edcase's situation they forgot to mention something about the heated rear window switch which was programmed to enable limp mode or something, I dunno what, but sods law he pressed it a few days later and his car felt like ****.
Needless to say everything got sorted ok.
Sleep well, a TEK2 remap is money well spent
Old 12 December 2003, 08:07 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

My UK MY02 WRX was the first new age customer car that Ecutek / PE mapped.

I live about 250 miles from PE so I took my car down late (midnight!) one Monday and picked it up the following Saturday.

I havn't had any problems since and recently got my ECU reflashed so I could access the user tuning functions on Deltadash.

If I had to spend my money again I would go straight to PE, they're in the same building as Ecutek and in my view are the true experts.

Edward.

[Edited by Edward - 12/12/2003 8:12:30 PM]
Old 12 December 2003, 08:12 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

And I didnt pay Ed a penny

Splash the cash and join the Group Buy, money well spent!

Cheers

Neal (PE ECU group buy organiser)
Old 12 December 2003, 09:51 PM
WRX245
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

PE re-mapped my 02 wrx back in the summer,money well spent and no probs what so ever!
Old 12 December 2003, 10:51 PM
scoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Nice one lads can't wait till the new year now

james.
Old 13 December 2003, 11:47 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of doing it dannyb.
before using scoobynet and getting honest opinions from consumers about mods they have done to their cars, i could only rely on the word of the salesperson as to how good their product is. by asking around on here i can make a decision on what to buy based on peoples REAL experiences and not some old bollox.
the same thing applies here, not one person has come back saying it's a crap remap so based on this,if funds allow, i will be going for it.
not sure about your facts on the process of the remap, from what i've been told the car is custom set up on the rollers, not just blatted around sainsburys car park with a computer stuck in it's brain.
Old 14 December 2003, 10:39 PM
Taylor.m
Scooby Regular

Had mine mapped last week no probs 280 BHP 271 Torque on a MY00 UK TURBO with full decat and k+N
Old 15 December 2003, 03:59 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

from what i've been told the car is custom set up on the rollers
That is the complete opposite of what the other mappers recommend, they say you should take the car out for real world driving, rather than just blatting it on the rolling road.
Old 15 December 2003, 07:05 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

you're probably right dannyb, maybe my interpretation of what i've read was wrong, might find out if santa reads his wish list