Notices

urgent help wanted asap

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2003, 10:58 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

fitted an up-pipe to me car a while ago. i have an my99 with decat zorst, dawes valve, blitz induction kit and always run on optimax. i had been told by alan g, that i might have a gap under the turbo, next to the up-pipe. he said a lot of people overlook this, as putting a new up-pipe on will never have the same fit as the original. sounds very believable. decided because i had started to get a whistling like the turbo, only louder, to take it all apart again and make sure it was all sealed properly and was not blowing somewhere. i had also been getting a bit of holding back when the car was first started, cold or hot. basically i put a couple of washers onto the up-pipe and bracket(on the right of bay) to space them out. i might add now, that i also found two bolts missing. funny that, as i was the one that done the job before. went out to run the car and the car topped at 9.5 psi and blew the pipe from the intercooler off the turbo. then the car cut all power and stopped. what would be causeing the pressure to not be as high on the secs unit but be highe nough to blow off the pipe.

sorry for the long story
Old 26 November 2003, 08:35 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

no-one??

come on. 9.5 psi, very whistley and i now think there was maybe a bit to much steam/smoke to be coming out the tail pipe too???
Old 26 November 2003, 12:59 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you didn't refit the intercooler pipe correctly and it would only hold 9.5psi as it was letting some of your boost out the intercooler pipework.. and therefore running rich as the MAF was telling the ecu to inject lots of fuel, hence the smokey exhaust but the air the maf was seeing was not all entering the engine.. then the pipe blew off due to incorrect fitment?

If you gauge only showed 9.5psi then you only had 9.5psi in the intercooler pipework, whcih is like you say not much and not likely to blow the pipe off.. so it couldn;t have been on right in the first place?

Have you tried refitting it and re-testing?

Check the jubilee clip is no bu99ered as sometime the thread goes and they appear to be tight when they are not.

??

JGM
Old 26 November 2003, 01:30 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Smile

alan g has also said to check the ic pipeing. said there might be a hole in the pipe somewhere too. gonna do that some time today to see if it helps. just tried putting the original t-piece on instead of the dawes and that isn't helping. not loseing anyway water either. so the ic is next.

cheers
m8

will let you know how i get on
Old 27 November 2003, 03:46 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I took the ic off, no problems there. The only thing I found was the intake pipe going onto the turbo, the jubilee clip had been tightened with the wee flap inside it. Not outside it. The wee flap thing stops the clip from sliding off the intake pipe where your gonna be tightening it up. Got that sorted anyway and made sure the ic was replaced correctly. No holes or loose jubilee clips were found at all. Decided to refit the dawes, but cleaned out the pipes first. Took the car for a spin and the whistleing is still there and boost goes up to 14.1 psi in 5th. i decided I’d go for upping the boost. Got it back to 16.6 psi, the whistleing is still there and when I’m going up a hill in 5th gear at just over 2000 revs, it struggles to gather revs/speed. I haven’t noticed if it’s still smokey, therefore I guess it ain’t a problem anymore.
Old 27 November 2003, 08:46 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Smile

anyone?
Old 27 November 2003, 09:24 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

sounds like up pipe gasket then.. or a leaking header..

JGM

Trending Topics

Old 27 November 2003, 09:35 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Smile

you think thats what the whistleing's coming from? is that what it usually sounds like? i took the turbo off, but i could see that it wasn't blowing there. if it is blowing, it must be up-pipe onto headers part, but i had a wee look there and didn't see anything.

ah well. back off with it all...again then!

thanks a lot J G M
Old 27 November 2003, 09:42 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

Dump Valve Flange?

Up pipes don't whistle It would Baarp.

Whistling would occur AFAIK. after Turbo.
Old 27 November 2003, 09:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I dunno for sure but if you are low on boost then it must be leaking something from somewhere.. either air from the intercooler pipework or exhaust gases from the pipework befoee the turbo?!

Although I would have expected it to be a big leak to effect boost that much if on the up pipe.. I'd still expect full boost just perhaps higher up the rev range than before..

JGM
Old 27 November 2003, 09:46 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Just saw SG's reply and hopefully he is right..

I have a header leak I believe and it can be header like a hole in the exhaust of a small cc car when cold and then only header at high RPM like almost pinking but slightly lower tone..

I wouldn't be inclined to remove the turbo again unless you are sure it is a leak.. but if you only disturbed the uppipe / headers and intercooler pipework it must be there somewhere.

What is the new up pipe? could it be that it is more restrictive?

JGM
Old 27 November 2003, 09:47 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Question

was also thinking it might have been the sealer i used on the up-pipe/turbo. maybe being sucked into the turbo?
Old 27 November 2003, 10:25 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

OH OH!

You don't use sealer on up pipe to Turbo.

This can go hard, break off. Into Turbo.

Whoops! Where's mi blades.

Will cause overspeed and whistlin'

Not that that's what you've got. I hope.
Old 27 November 2003, 10:33 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Red face

f3ck! what's overspeed then????
Old 27 November 2003, 11:31 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Had a very similar sounding problem a few weeks back! Suddenly one night the car started to make a loud screeching noise on boost but backing off the throttle slightly! First thought the turbo was knackered. Then put it down to a blown up-pipe gasket, so tightened all the manifold/up-pipe/turbo bolts and studs. Noticed the downpipe gasket was blowing v.v slightly, so changed that. Still it was doing it, so then stripped D/V and refitted, and also tightened the Inlet hose on the turbo (Jubilee clip seemed V loose to me) Noise appears to be better, if not gone completely. Think its just the turbo (VF28 @20psi peak) is boosting to it's limit really! I would suggest trying all the above, as it costs no money to check whats already there
Old 28 November 2003, 11:15 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

cheers pickle, but i'm not even close to that sort of mod status, so i don't know if it's that...might be though, i ain't knocking what you've said. but...

sg72 what is overspeed???
Old 28 November 2003, 11:34 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I think he is referring to the turbo spinning faster and out of balance.. fubar basically...

I'd keep looking at other possibilities.. or you are on removing the turbo and checking both turbine blade wheels for damage.
Or get it inspected or just replace it with a bigger one..

If it is boosting with a slight tweak on the dawes then it cannot be THAT bad... altohugh might get worse.. are you sure the noise iwas not there all along, you are just listenning harder now?

I am muddled as to what the problem is now except the noise?

JGM
Old 28 November 2003, 11:57 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

likewise at your last comment, but i canm assure you. the noise was there once before when i first fitted the up-pipebut then went away. and it's now back after having it off again
Old 28 November 2003, 12:15 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

You need to look at what caused the noise to start in the first place.
Was it the change in up-pipe which made you notice the noise? or after you fitted the induction kit / dump valve etc etc?

If you can remember when you first started to hear it, that may give you the clue you need.

Alan
Old 28 November 2003, 12:20 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

The reference to the "gap under the turbo" was in relation to the up-pipe flange blowing its' gasket at the manifold end.

To explain, some tend to fit the manifold to the heads, then the up-pipe to the manifold, but when they go to bolt on the up-pipe to the support bracket where the turbo is fitted, they tend to tighten up the bolts but in doing so, they pull the up-pipe towards the support bracket and hence cause stress for the gasket/flanges at the manifold/bottom of up-pipe area.

The gap is refering to the up-pipe flange and the support bracket, NOT the turbo.

Hope this clears any confusion.

Alan
Old 28 November 2003, 02:55 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

it was when we first fitted the up-pipe m8. the same symptons happened then. whistleing and drop in boost. i spent one night changing the boost to my desired level and somehow the whistleing just...vanished and the car seemed fine.after a while, the boost seemed to grow. getting higher and higher itself. not a lot, but enough for the fuel cut to come in.that was just about rr day time. i adjusted the boost down and everything seemed fine until about an hour before getting to your house the other night, when the whistleing came back to haunt me again. and since then, the turbo has been off(i understand your last post there m8, tis what i done...spaced the up-pipe from the bracket), the ic has been off and everything looks fine. it looks like either it's blowing at the headers/up-pipe or the turbo's gone t1t's up
Old 29 November 2003, 11:18 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Question

how would i be able to tell if the turbo is knackered?
Old 30 November 2003, 01:47 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Knackered turbo will use oil. It'll use oil because the bearings have gone. Bearings will go if the turbo goes out of balance or the oil-ways coke up due to heatsoak.

Vindaloo.
Old 30 November 2003, 02:06 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Smile

have you read the thread here bud? do you think it could be the turbo?
Old 30 November 2003, 09:00 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

ok. couldn't see a single thing wrong with anything barr a small hole in the intake pipe next to the jubilee clip at the turbo inlet. tried tightening the clip over it, but it's STILL whistleing, no turbo kick and useing more fuel than i'd expect. i'm loseing my mind here!!! can anyone have any more idea's here??? scoty reckoned he could hear the whistleing come right through the tailpipe when i was drivin along too???

please help...someone???

cheers
an unhappy drb5
Old 30 November 2003, 09:26 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Just a shot in the dark, is the wastegate actuator fully closing the poppet when below boost target? (The WG poppet not shutting fully therefore sitting slightly open)
Old 30 November 2003, 09:26 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Question

don't know bud. how can i tel?
Old 30 November 2003, 09:35 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

All the flanges have a good seal, headers/up-pipe, up-pipe/turbo, turbo/downpipe.
No signs of any leaks after inspecting the gaskets.
All boost hoses aft turbo are secure and not holed.
Turbo blades look fine, no play on the bearings, ruled the dawes out cos tried it with standard piping and boost solenoid, wistling is still there.
Good possibility some of the paste has infact been sucked up through the turbo after re-asmebly the last time, but it looks like no damage has been caused luckily.
Car also runs a bit lumpy on idle/revs when not moving.
MAF was replaced not long ago, plugs were done recently, lambda sensor just been changed

Didn't think it sounded like anything to worry about, sounded OK actually, but if there is a loss of kick from the trubo, must be something causing it.
Still think you should ditch the vent to atmospher dump valve and try a standard one just to rule it out.
What else is there, leads, coilpacks, ECU?
Old 30 November 2003, 09:43 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

get a new turbo, fuel pump, prssure regulator, fuel rail mod, etc, etc

maybe one day it'll be ok
Old 30 November 2003, 09:51 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Check to see if there is any movement on the actuator arm. There shouldn't be any as the actuator spring should be 'pulling' the WG poppet into the shut position and only open when the boost target is reached.
Also as already said, try the std dump v/v as these can sometimes remain slightly open under boost which would give you the whistling sound and lumpy idle.

Quick Reply: urgent help wanted asap