Oil Leak from Sump

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2003, 12:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Unhappy

It appear that my sump is leaking oil at the rear of the engine

Seeing that there are so many parts in the way...it looks like a right PITA to replace the sump gasket. I can't even get at the 2 bolts at the rear of the sump

Anyone have any specific and easiest removal procedures before I do anything stupid like dropping down the whole subframe!

Normally, I wouldn't bother with this..but the last straw was that I park the scoob over a ladder, and I nearly fell off it the other day beacuse of the oil that leaked on to the rungs 3/4 of the way up!
Old 23 November 2003, 03:18 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are u sure its not one of the rocker box covers ? they are very common and would give the same puddle under the car!
whip the undertray off and clumb under there.
some leaks are evident from above too - specially when they start dripping onto the exhaust!

Steve
Old 23 November 2003, 06:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I've already been under the car on a ramp with the tray off...definetly the sump as I can see it comeing between the block and sump, and its dry above that

At least now I know it's not a gasket...it's just siliconed, so whoever put the engine together was a bit stingy with the silcone [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Suppose I won't need to fork out 10p on a gasket

Anyway, I need the answer...WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET THE SUMP OFF!!??
Old 23 November 2003, 09:14 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it can be done insitu i think you hane to jack the engine up though just undo the two mounting nuts then using a hoist carefully raise the engine.
Old 24 November 2003, 09:33 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Are you "definatey" sure its the sump? As what can appear as such can often be the black fibre oil gallery blanking plate on the back of the engine [behind flywheel] leaking slightly, then seeping down the seam between the engine and bell housing, then running around the sump. The sump sealant does not normally fail as it is quite a thick and very strong sealant, which does not break off easily and you may find you are not able to remove the sump in situ due to this fact, not without damaging the sump anyway.
Old 24 November 2003, 09:41 AM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Changed the sump on mine when I first got it. (UK Turbo MY95)

Your guess about dropping the sub-frame is correct, other wise you won't get at the rear bolts and won't be able to get the sump out.

The genuine sealant (not a gasket) is quite expensive too......£22 a tube from Subaru !!

Steve

Old 24 November 2003, 12:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Hmmm, I'll have to have another look now!

Never heard of this blanking plate before, Can it be seen from underneath?

I think it's leaked from when the engine was put in, so it's always a chance it was the way it was put together (brand- new factory scoob short engine) and a gap in the sealant or just the rear bolts need tightening - if I could get at them! Just I was never really bothered about it until I nearly fell of the ladder

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 2003, 01:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

When you say "oil gallery blanking plate" Do you mean the "oil seperator cover?" as it's the only thing I can see in the manual that's in that area...looks like an impossible job to do without removing the engine
Old 24 November 2003, 10:08 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

I think scoobyslut is refering to the black plastic covers between the block and gearbox.

To remove and reseal these you need to remove the gearbox, clutch and flywheel!!!!
So No you can't see it from under the car!

I have seen a couple of these leak including mine!! (Must get round to fixing it)

Old 25 November 2003, 09:26 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

had a "technical word" with some guys and yes it is called the "oil seperator plate". It can not be seen untill you get the flywheel off but there should be enough of a "trail" to confirm this as leaking before you attempt.
Dont forget, it it often easier to remove the gearbox rather than the engine, especially as you dont have to remove the exhaust downpipe to get the box out, simply remove the heat sheilds off the turbo,disconnect the exhaust at the bottom flange, then remove the very bottom two threaded studs out of the bell housing completely [by locking two nuts together normally works!]. Then you can slide the box back, tilt to one side and its out and away.
Much easier then getting involved with the temperamental cooling system in my books, plus less time as well.
Old 25 November 2003, 11:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Cheers. Still yet to double check the leak, I'll probably get it on the ramp by the end of the week to look at it again properly

Old 26 November 2003, 10:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

scoobyslut

without seeming thick (me that is) how do you the gearbox out??

i can see dropping off the rear drive shaft, but what about the front two drive shafts?? how do you get those out

Mart