Notices

Am I sh@gging my fuel gauge sender?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2003, 09:50 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I filled the car (STi8 non-PPP) up this evening on Optimax. As I don't have a Shell garage convenient to any of my normal routes to work or customers, and my car LOVES Optimax, I filled it to the brim - by which I mean I squeezed in every last drop I could.

I didn't check the gauge as I left, but after about 10 miles I noticed the fuel gauge only showed half a tank, then it worked its way south as I drove on for the next 80-odd miles. Then, when it had reached just over a quarter, it started to work its way north again until it reached the likely-accurate position of three-quarters of a tank.

Does anyone out there know the configuration of the sender? Is it in a side-tube which might have got airlocked by overfilling, or did I do something nasty to the sender?

(I did this overfilling exercise on my old 328i once and half-way home the needle plummeted to zero - a very expensive new combined pump-and-fuel-gauge-sender was my punishment - the original being probably damaged by the pressure buffetting from the fuel hose).
Old 20 November 2003, 10:33 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Fuel gauge problems on these cars aren't uncommon. Search on here for "fuel gauge" to see if you can get any info, but when this happens it seems to be a dealer fix, so probably best to drop into them ASAP.
Old 20 November 2003, 11:07 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mine did the exact same thing a few weeks ago! Filled right up, then noticed the gauge was stuck on exactly half a tank!.Stayed like that til I'd done about 40 miles, then started to read correct again. Hasn't done it since! Don't worry too much about it!
Old 21 November 2003, 03:41 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

just fill it every 200 miles **** the gauge