Notices

water getting into passenger side A pillar

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2001, 12:09 AM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have now had two central locking door timer units burn out because of water getting into them. Water is getting into the passenger side A pillar and running down the cable through the plug into the unit, which has had about 1 inch in the bottom each they failed (along with lots of strange shorting sounds and flat battery ).
There is no sign of water anywhere else, carpets are dry, ECU area is dry. It just seems to get on the cable to the timer unit.
The windscreen has been checked for leaks but Silvershield say it's not getting in there and suspect the door rubber on the front passenger door. But how can the water get from the door rubber inside the A pillar?
If any of you have experienced this or have any ideas as it's getting expensive!!

Cheers

Dave
Old 22 September 2001, 04:40 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it is the windscreen area we had a couple of cars do it so we took the trim off around the windscreen and put another layer of sealant down the edge of the windscreen put the trim back on and it cured it alternatively you could turn the unit upside down so the plug is at the bottom. and also check the pillar behind the leading edge of the door we have had some where water gets in along a seam or grommet cant quite remember wot 1
Old 24 September 2001, 11:30 PM
dave fairhurst
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that

Don't know what to do now, Silvershield fitted the new windscreen at the end of may and the problem began after that, but they have delayed coming out to sort it until it was raining last week. Surprise they had to take the car back to their workshop to do the job (which was to have been remove and reseal screen - fit new if necc). Hour later I get a call saying they have removed the trim and thoroughly tested it with jet wash and compressed air (great - my paint -) and found no leak at all.
How easy is it to remove and refit the trim? Could I do it myself and add a layer of sealant, or should I pursue Silvershield?

Dave

[This message has been edited by dave fairhurst (edited 24 September 2001).]
Old 25 September 2001, 06:48 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you can do it yourself the trim down the sides is held in place by clips but expect some to break as you pull it then just put your own layer of sealant down both edges and clip the trim back