Notices

Legacy GT spec.

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2001, 10:23 AM
aar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Seems to be difficult to find any reference but does anyone know the difference between the GT and GT-B models specs?

The 'B' stands for Bilstein I presume but are the engine specs different?

I'm been told that the manual and auto GT-B's have different power output but did this also apply to the GT?

What is the official bhp figure for a manual GT?
Old 12 September 2001, 09:15 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

hmmm, what year(s) are we talking first.
Old 13 September 2001, 01:59 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

I have a 98 GT If I remember correctly, the early Gt's (pre-96ish) had 250bhp in auto form and 280bhp in manual form. From 96 onwards auto versions had 260bhp and manual versions had 280bhp with a minor facelift and double sized panel for your stereo.

For the GT-B, there is some confusion which I still haven't managed to get clear. The B definitely stands for Bilstein Suspension but most (or all?) GT-B's i've seen are estate versions. They both come in auto and manual spec with 260bhp and 280bhp respecitvely.

I think the engines on the GT and GT-B are identical.

then there's also the RS version which could? also have bilstein dampers, 4pots, recaro like semi-leather seats, tuned up engine with another 600rpm on the rev range and also available in manual or auto but most in that spec would be in maunual. Power outputs officially are 280 and 260 respetively. These are pretty rare and although still the same engine, have a more aggressive charateristic I've been told.
Old 13 September 2001, 03:36 AM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Are you refering to the blitzen? Only Available in New Zealand and Japan. Handling/Brakes etc by Porsche.

Dan
Old 13 September 2001, 06:46 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

submannz,

I think aar is asking about the pre-99 Legacies as the post-99 new legacy's are known as the Legacy B4, estates GTB. The Blitzen is a tuned up version of the B4 and they are soooo cool in the flesh!

Unfortunately I can only afford the previous GT version!

The previous versions of the legacy had a GT variant and GTB as well as RS as mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 16 September 2001, 10:23 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

I was talking to you bb, where you talking about the blitzen at the bottom of your first post?

BB is right there is no difference in the engines. Most of them have a bilstein badge on the back that says bilstein equiped

I have one of the twin turbos and it goes!! Given a few 750cc Motor bikes a fright. Now putting out 320Hp.

Dan
Old 17 September 2001, 12:18 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

aar,

I stand corrected but i'm pretty sure all the manual versions had 280ps, it was only the auto versions which had a slight difference.

The front grill of the 94 version will be slightly different to the post 95/96. Definitely no bilsteins and al 2 pot callipers. Actually RS versions did have 4 pots standard.

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2001, 01:50 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Submannz,

The blitzen only refers to the newer B4 Legacy and tuned by Porsche not Subaru. The RS version I mentioned applies to the previous shape Legacy and was tuned by Subaru themselves.

AFAIK, the Blitzen only has cosmetic changes compared with the normal B4? Whilst the RS has hardly any cosmetic differences and was mainly a tune up of the standard twin turbo (hence wider rev range) and a centre diff. I think.

Submannz..which Legacy do you have? the Newer B4 or previous version?

[This message has been edited by bb (edited 17 September 2001).]
Old 17 September 2001, 07:20 AM
mrlegacy69
Scooby Newbie

submannz can you give any details of how you got 320hp out of your twin turbo legacy. As I have an RS and have been told bar a muffler change and decat there is little you can do without running the risk of blowing the primary turbo. I have had a new muffler put on but this caused overboost up to about 1.1 bar in the top of the rev range. Had this fixed to "safe levels" .7 bar for primary and .9 bar for secondary turbo.
Old 17 September 2001, 08:12 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Hmmm...looks like a touch of clarification required (I'll do as best I can w/out writing a book, and within my limited knwoledge base).

Should wait for clarification on years/model, but here goes with a shotgun answer: the GT has the same engine specs...as the autos (see below for more info). I included more info JIC you are trying to ID a car w/out catalogues.

Well, there was a "big minor change" in 96 - the BD/BG TTs pre this were all 250ps. The in post-change TTs the autos were 260ps, manuals 280ps. This is also when the first of the Bilstein shod cars were released, those being the RS (sedan) and the GT-B wagon (not to be confused with the GT B-spec of the early BGs which was something quite different). GTs post "big minor change" were autos only AFAIK, running on 16inch wheels (vs. RS/GT-B 17inch).

The BE/BH has 260ps and 280ps in auto and manual respectively. The GTs in this range are all autos without the Bilstein suspension (and it is a BIG difference). The GT has as an option the VDC stability/skid control, whereas the B4/GT-B misses out. On the other hand, the GT does not get the tiptronic shift.

Off topic: On the Blitzen, the manual picked up a front LSD that did more than just come along for the ride...quite a nice touch. Mechanically the autos were unchanged. Otherwise it was cosmetics (aero bits, wheels and paint) and audio.

As for Porsche's much vaunted "tuning" - they were honest enough to say they did not do much at all.

And unfortunately, the 4 pots have yet to be offered on Legacys, but as everyone knows, they are a bolt on mod (BUT they won't clear the OE wheels on BD/BGs).

Not picking any fights, just trying to keep things straight.

Cheers.

Old 17 September 2001, 10:26 AM
aar
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Thanks guys....

Seems that these cars are more popular on your side of the globe. Does nobody tune these in the UK?

For a '94 manual GT the output should be 250ps then?
Old 17 September 2001, 04:24 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Smile

OK - not getting into a flame war, but in Japan Legacys get 2 pots at best, and a 94 would have the 250ps engine (a buddy had one, manual RS).

The first 280ps Legacy was the "post big minor change" BG GT-B manual (yes, I had one).

It is possible that 4 pots were OE elsewhere in the world, but I'd bet the car is ex-Japan, so without a mod, it'll be running standard brakes (which may even be single pot floaters AFAIK??). I am going to ask my m8 about it - but I won't know the answer till tomorrow JST.

Peace.
Old 18 September 2001, 02:25 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

No worries AJBaseBLoke,

As my last post, I was prepared to be corrected, because funnily enough, all the RS's i've seen in Hong Kong have had 4 pots. Seeing as we've got a 100% tax on cars here, maybe the dealer had a heart and decided to upgrade to 4 pots as standard spec? I need to check but I assume the closest to true spec would be at your end in Japan, fair enough as my GT only has 2 pots too!!

As mine is an auto, does anyone know what I have to change if I want to convert my car to a manual? Gearbox, console, dash, ECU? Is it worth the bother?

Old 18 September 2001, 02:32 AM
mrlegacy69
Scooby Newbie

My 93 twin turbo has floating 2 pots standard and 183kw(250,260 hp ?)
Old 18 September 2001, 04:33 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi bb,

Good on you m8! Sounds like the importer felt that the car was underbraked (doh! ) and did the right thing. I guess the owners may have taken the upgrade route, too.

To change your car over to manual requires some pretty haevyweight work incl. (and I am going off what I have heard, not having done it myself): gearbox, propshaft, interior trim etc. I have heard that the ECU will run without the autobox connected, and I have heard the opposite, too... You may wnat to go for a Prova one which keeps most of the OE functions like error logging, but ups power a bit while keeping the boost well under control. Short parts may incl. heatshields according to one report I have seen (again, going from 2nd hand info).

I think the center diff may need changing too, but I think you have a viscous rear diff already.

Someone must know more about it than me though!!

Cheers.
Old 19 September 2001, 03:33 AM
submannz
Scooby Regular

RSK B4 model.

52mm throttle body, You can run a bigger exhaust as long as it is from the cats back. & adjustable boost, and mods to the air intake. Alcohol and Steam injection.

1993-1996 where mostly 184Kw and from the GT-B's where 205Kw Manual and 191Kw for the auto's.
Old 19 September 2001, 09:47 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

All Legacies have 2 pot front brakes. The difference between the RS/GT-B and GT are on the rear brakes - the RS/GT-B have larger discs.
The 4 pots which are seen in HK Legacies are aftermarket mods, cos the cars offered by the distributor are all to Japanese specification (right down to the stereo). Maybe the owners of those cars specified the 4 pots at the time of delivery, as the distributor is willing to order & fit aftermarket tune-up parts to cars before delivery.
Actually, the import tax on cars in HK varies between 35% to I think 60%, and not a flat rate of 100%. Tax rates are based on the pre-tax price of the vehicle, the more expensive the higher the import tax.
Old 20 September 2001, 03:44 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Just got the reply from a former pre-change BG RS owner (if you must know he loved it, but stuffed into a concrete barrier!=new B4 owner!!)...and his fronts were 2 pots, but had smaller diameter rotors than post change RS/GT-Bs.

Cheers.